lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
grandpa1
Gone Wild

Default club car DS continues to burn up V Glide

91 resistor coil cart continues to burn up the V Glide.36 volt batteries are good.Runs great on solid ground but when you hit grass it has alot of resistance. Could the motor be wore out and causing alot of resistance and pulling alot of juice.
grandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
grandpa1
Gone Wild

Default Re: club car DS continues to burn up V Glide

Does anyone have any ideas about this crazy cart.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

How does it do on a hill? If it slows greatly in just grass you definitely have an issue. Are your coils all intact? It very well may be that your motor is shot, but I have never had this issue. Just out of curiosity, make sure that when the go pedal is all the way down that the Vglide wiper reaches the top contact. If it doesn't, then this could be the reason it slows in grass and burns the Vglide up.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
grandpa1
Gone Wild

Yes it goes all the way to the top contact. I can't understand why it keeps on doing this. Coils are fine best I can tell.Don't have many hills around here to put it under a load again.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are the brakes dragging? Do you have you tires inflated? Is the wiper arm hitting the last contact in the v-glide box? Is it a genuine club car part or one from an aftermarket company?
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

I studied your cart's diagram (same as mine) and could only come up with a motor issue or a differential issue, with the latter being a wag!. Micros, vglide and solenoid are working per you. Batteries are good per you. All connections are good per you. All wiring is good. Coils aren't broken. Key switch is functioning. Is the FnR switch good? How many vglide assy's have you fried? Got any pictures? Never had this issue myself, but want to try and help a fellow sparky!
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
grandpa1
Gone Wild

previous owner burned up 2 because he was driving it at slow speed on grass. I have been told that you cant run these carts at slow speed like that. He gave me the cart and I replaced the v glide and on flat hard road it was fine but when I went out on a field it put a load on it and it fried the first one on me. Now Im not sure where to go. The cart ran but continues to fry this v glide. How can I test the motor to see if it is drawing to much juice ? The v glide is from nivel parts and according to them it is an OEM part.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
grandpa1
Gone Wild

any ideas
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This system just doesn't do well with any use other than golf. Think about what the cart's original requirements were. Basically 300 yd drive on groomed path and rest (cool) and repeat. All this on small tires with limited loads.

Once you take the resistor coil cart off the country club loads tend to increase, even if it is just thick grass or beach sand, or mud.... any loose footing and or heavier loads and extended run time can all contribute toward melting down the lightly pressured sliding contacts in the V-glide. It is historically the weak point in this operating system.

You can keep putting V-glides in it, learn to avoid the situations that heat it up, or you can convert it to modern solid state speed control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can you post a picture or describe what you mean by "burn up"? Where exactly is melting or getting damaged?
High current condition would cause marginal connections to heat up, maybe one of the crimps is corroded and it heats up until it melts the vglide casing (assuming something is melted). A picture would definitely help...
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car