lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Is it likely I have a blown head gasket?

81 gas Marathon 244cc Robin. Got it going and rode it around for a little bit with an open pipe before purchasing a new muffler. Seemed to run good enough for me so I put a new muffler on it. It ran OK for about 30 minutes now huffs and puffs and wont start again. Sounds like a combination air leak/exhaust leak with an occasional backfire. Cant pinpoint where it is exactly coming from with all the air shields in place (cant even see the head). I figure that the added back pressure with a muffler installed may have finished off an already compromised head gasket, is that possible? Oh, I didn't mention that it had 90 psi compression before I rode it. Someone here told me to tighten the head bolts but I did not. I will check compression again when I have a chance.
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
jcchappy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is it likely I have a blown head gasket?

90 psi is low. I would check the head bolt as stated before.
jcchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

90 #s low and do try to torque head bolts first but prob need either a new head gasket or rings or more. One more thing to check however. Watch your throttle linkage at the carb and see if the carb is opening and closing all the way as you peddle down and release. You should hear a click at about 1/2" peddle travel down and your carb should not open until the click has been completed. Very important also to have the carb close completely as if not when you peddle all the way up and no spark but still open carb, you will get fuel coming into cylinder and as soon as you hit peddle to spark it hits the already filed fuel and gives backfire or puffing.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Check the HEAD BOLTS and also the BASE BOLTS where the jug meets the crank case they have been known to blow out. You may also have a crank seal blown out.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Will a blown out crank seal effect the compression?

I have a top end gasket kit on the way. The cart is not at the house or I would already have it apart to confirm but I'm betting on a blown head gasket.

Thanks for the replies, Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Check the HEAD BOLTS and also the BASE BOLTS where the jug meets the crank case they have been known to blow out. You may also have a crank seal blown out.

LOU
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

No crank seal will not effect compression.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

But it will give you the huff and puffs.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO