lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Slats
Getting Wild

Default 2006 Precedent Clunking Sound

2006 Precedent Clunking Sound coming from under the front of the cart. Sounds like the passenger side and is an intermittent problem. Seems to happen when I'm in reverse and just getting started backing out of the garage on a smooth pavement. I'll hear 2 or 3 deep kind of clunk sounds. Haven't yet been able to make it happen at will. There is no 'play' in the steering. Any ideas what to look for? Thanks
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
wthompson912
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent Clunking Sound

Check the bushings at A-arm and upper clevis.
wthompson912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Slats
Getting Wild

Is there an easy way to tell me how to do that?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but just check around the front end for anything that looks loose, check the rubber bushings for cracks or splits, check the shocks, etc.
Basically look for anything that is loose or doesn't look right
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Slats
Getting Wild

Do I want to take the front body off to look closely at the steering and stuff....or would I be able to tell from undeneath? I haven't looked at it close yet and wondering the best way. Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Do I want to take the front body off to look closely at the steering and stuff....or would I be able to tell from undeneath? I haven't looked at it close yet and wondering the best way. Thanks
. . . depends if you want to lay on your back looking up or stand up looking down . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Put some safety glasses on and a headlamp and slide underneath the cart. pull/tug on the various steering linkages and see if they are tight. Jack up the front and see if wheel bearings are tight, and check your lug nuts. While your underneath, check out the frame for any cracks or cracked welds. then move to the midsection of the cart and check everything there. If all checks out, go to the rear. Sometimes noises get transmitted to other areas. Does it do it if you push it backwards? Remember Run/Tow switch to Tow.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Slats
Getting Wild

I should get a chance to check what everybodys suggesting this weekend. Can somebody explain in laymans terms just where to 'Check the bushings at A-arm and upper clevis'. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Slats
Getting Wild

I got a chance to look under my cart and here's what I found may be making the sound. Forgive the lack of mechanics language but I'll describe as best I can.

Cap end was away from the wheel bearings and bearing case was about half filled with bearings. I'm not sure buit that doesn't seem right. When I wiggled the part with the lug nut studs there was a little play maybe 1/4-1/2".
The bottom bar(leaf spring?) has an oval shaped metal piece with a bolt through it that's where the play is. Is that piece where a rubber bushing is supposed to be? If so it's gone.

Hope this is clear enough for someone to understand and possibly help. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I got a chance to look under my cart and here's what I found may be making the sound. Forgive the lack of mechanics language but I'll describe as best I can.

Cap end was away from the wheel bearings and bearing case was about half filled with bearings. I'm not sure buit that doesn't seem right. When I wiggled the part with the lug nut studs there was a little play maybe 1/4-1/2".
The bottom bar(leaf spring?) has an oval shaped metal piece with a bolt through it that's where the play is. Is that piece where a rubber bushing is supposed to be? If so it's gone.

Hope this is clear enough for someone to understand and possibly help. Thanks!
Ok, we are getting somewhere. That sounds like excessive play in the wheel bearings. I don't think they should really move side to side at all. Do you have any pics of the second thing you're talking about?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car