lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
nuspeed95
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 CC DS Clone swap: the kill wire

I'm doing the Lifan 15hp swap for 88 DS and the engine is finally in and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the kill wire. Looks like the lifan's on/off switch is grounded and the stock kill wire for the CC is positive as long as the pedal is down..
Q1- Can I use a relay to reverse the polarity and turn the positive voltage from the CC kill wire to a negative?
Q2- if so, where could I get one of the relays or what name would they go by?

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance..
nuspeed95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: 88 CC DS Clone swap: the kill wire

Yes, you can reverse polarity and kill engine with the relay. You do understand that the motor will not idle when you stop, is that what you want? You will need to disconnect kill wireto switch box on motor and route to relay.

Check at your local auto parts store, ask for a 12V,5 terminal, aux relay,30/40A contack rating.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
nuspeed95
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the info! That helps out greatly. It's my father-in-law's cart and he said that he'd like the cart to still operate as close to original as possible. He still wanted it to start when you push the pedal and kill the engine when you let off. I'll see about finding one at the parts store then...
Thank you again..
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can do it like I did the G9s. You can get a bosch type relay for ~$3 on amazon and the plug for the same, or older GM cars have many of them under the hood usually. They are a square cube looking thing. You need the 5 pin type. Wire the pedal to activate the relay on when pedal down. Wire the other side to ground the clone kill wire to the engine block when engine/cart is off so it is killed all the time, unless you use the pedal. The 4 pin relay can't work this way, it only connects it can not disconnect when activated. IIRC 87a - ground at block, 30 - clone kill wire, 86 - pedal (if 12v w/pedal down), 85 - battery ground.

Of course your ground at block and battery should be tied together, but does not have to if you don't charge or start with clone engine. Note the cart engine cradle is not part of the frame, even the gen mount may not be a good ground to engine make sure to check that stuff out with a swap if you need to change how its wired. You need to ground the frame on many carts if you put lights/accessories on that ground to frame. Most yamaha are not grounded factory as nothing runs off the frame ground.

Also note if you have some play in the pedal at start, you can start the engine and idle it with the first 10% (etc) of pedal travel. You can put a switch in to bypass the pedal switch to a key with 12v (that in many carts passes 12v to the pedal switch factory) that way it would turn off with the key if bypassed but idle w/key on.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
nuspeed95
Not Yet Wild

IT'S ALIVE... ALIVE.. Muuaahh-hahh-hahh!
I couldn't find a pedal operated 12v wire to activate the relay. Instead I bought another micro switch like the one that comes with the brake light kits. I mounted it under the cart, up against the lever for the go pedal and made that my 12v source for the relay. Will see about getting some pics or video uploaded in the next few days. Just got some more snow last night so looks like I'm gonna have to take it for another 'Test Drive'.. cough.. cough..
Thanks again for the help here guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps