lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
vw3858
Finding Myself

Club Car

Default Re: Hooking up accessories through the ignition switch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
I hook all my accessories (all but stereo: don't have one on the cart) to toggle switches and ground everything to the neg. post of the battery. Be sure to ground to the neg. post on Yamaha's. If not, it will blow the main fuse almost everytime. Some stereos will actually drain your battery if it sits for long periods of time. Due to the memory power lead on the stereo. Just something to think about when hooking it up. I would hook the radio up to the hot side ignition wire and then ground to neg. on battery.
Spriddle - Do you have a pic of your toggles?
vw3858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
AUTOMAN
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Like my past reply, I used the back-up buzzer wire after swapping -
Yellow with Blue
White/Red with White/Green
Now the pink is hot when in forward with engine running!

I did this at the switch itself, but chopping the wires will work also.
Feed the pink to a 10+ amp rating relay!
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
roger
Not Yet Wild

I ran my hot wire to battery with a fuse in wire and ground to the battery and has worked fine I tryed to run ground to frame sometimes lites would work and sometimes not a toggle switch of course
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Doesn't Yamaha? have a 3 position key switch that incorporates a light source? Ya know, off/ on / on,lights. Usually theres an OEM accessory package for head lights. No?
My ez has a 3pos. sw for headlights. I run the radio thru a toggle, batt ground, otherwise the lights would have to be on to play the radio.
What am I saying, I don't know about yammis
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw3858 View Post
Spriddle - Do you have a pic of your toggles?
No, I sold the G16. But they were just on/off switches spliced into the hot wire coming off the battery pos. post to the lights. Ground everything to the neg. post of the battery. And I never splice into anything on the cart. Just personal preference.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That makes troubleshooting too easy! Spriddle cheats!
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

I ground all my accessories to the lug nuts. Since there are 4 per wheel, I figure I can hook up 16 accessories.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
indian ink
Not Yet Wild

I was looking for the same accessory wire off the ignition, and found this post...there is always a way, remember that ! I have been looking at the wire diagram for the g1 for about a hour now, your right there isn't anything to tap into. However, I peeled back the rubber boot on the back of the ignition, found it ! I just bought an aftermarket ignition from eBay, its really the same one but may have a different color for hot (this one is brown). But right below the constant hot wire, there are two brass dots that don't have wires solder to them. One is hot in forward and the other is hot in reverse; verify with meter continuity between the key positions and with the hot wire to the brass dots. Going to solder a ( Y ) shape wire to the two brass dots, then have it come out along the rest of the wires, this wire will go to my duty solenoid for my accessories fuse junction to power front and rear lights, radio, cigarette lighter, and horn when key is in forward or reverse...I will check back and try to post some pictures...
indian ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Best I can see the WG and WR are the hot forward and reverse wires, meaning one is hot for each key direction....if I'm right, and needs to be tested. Anyway, if it is just get two of the $3 bosch relays and run one off each wire, run a fused hot from the battery to the other side of both relays, combine the two wires back out and to your accessories or power block for them that run with the key 'on' forward or reverse. You can't connect those two wires for forward and reverse power, but you can put a relay on both and run power from either one into your acc supply wire so it is hot either way but off with key off. If you are really sneaky you run the hots into a third relay that runs your acc. You put a capacitor between the pair and 3rd relay that will keep it on long as the cap powers it. So you would get a delay before it turned the acc off. The pair in that case could be small relays since they wont handle any power, but bosch are cheap and very available. Would not take a big cap as the relay takes little power to stay on. Double check everything I said here lol, if you have a hot for each key position it should work but just saying this is where I would start.

Yamaha does NOT ground the frame on a cart, just the cradle for the engine and only the engine part not beyond the mounts necessarily. You should ground the frame if you need a ground, get a cable and bolt to the frame and to the negative battery. OR, wire a ground to all your accessories back to the neg battery.

I would not recommend you power anything more than a little LED light off factory wiring without a relay. The whole system runs on 10a fuses, take the power it uses and not much left, just not a good idea, use a relay they are cheap. Old GM cars have handfulls of them under the hood if you have no budget, stop at a boneyard and grab some.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #20
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nicely put sho...love the capacitor delay idea
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha