lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Let the games begin.......

So last night I picked this thing up......

Its an 87 Marathon. I have a camping trip set up for a couple weeks from now that I want to use it on. Doesnt leave a lot of time for ordering parts. Ugh.

It was dark when I got it home so I wasnt able to do anything with it last night and I am working today. This acts like it is starving for gas. It starts hard and only seems to really start running good when the choke is pulled out. It seriously lacks any kind of guts and just barely climbed the ramps up onto my trailer. Serious diagnosis and repair will have to wait until after my camping trip.

My short term plans include checking out the fuel pump, cleaning the carb, changing the filter, and possibly changing the gas lines. I will also be trying to determine if the crank seals are bad (I REALLY hope not). Thats probably all I will have time to do before my trip as I work some goofy hours.

I freely admit that I am not a mechanic but I may have to get my hands dirty to get this thing running right. If it comes down to some bigger repairs, Im sure I will have a lot of questions so I hope I can count on some answers.

If y'all have any simple stuff I can check in the short term, I would be greatfull for the assistance. I have owned a couple Yamaha G1s but this is my first EZ GO.

Thanks folks.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Let the games begin.......

checking out the fuel pump, cleaning the carb,
Thats a good start, good luck.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

First problem I have found....previous owner was mixing 16 ounces of oil to 5 gallons of gas. From my reading here, isnt it only supposed to be 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas? I cant believe this thing isnt smoking like a train.

The second thing I have seen is that the belt seems to be largely just slipping on the clutch attached to the crank. The belt looks to be in really bad shape. Anyone hapen to know the correct belt size for one of these. I cannot be certain that the one on it is even right.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The belt on the clutch....shouldnt it ride up the sheeve some as the sheeves come together? It does not appear as if mine is....or if it is, its very minimal.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Yes the belt should ride up the clutch. Check the size. Should be 1-3/16 wide and 45" od.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you, thats what I though but this is new to me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO