lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default New Project

One of my many hobbies is building little projects. My latest project is a rotary tumbler for tumbling brass to reload. I'm using a 1/4hp motor I had laying around that is 1725rpm. 1-1/2" pulley on motor, 3-1/2" pulley on drive roller, 3/4" drive roller, turning a 15" OD drum with a calculated final RPM of 40rpms.

Video of my drive system:

Side pieces and bottom welded. Zero leaks.

My inside welds.

Welded up and sitting full of water. Overall I had two small leaks.

Plan for how the drum will roll.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Project

Great project. I made my drum out of pvc pipe and it works pretty good. I also use stainless media and lemi shine. Brass comes out like new.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjequip View Post
Great project. I made my drum out of pvc pipe and it works pretty good. I also use stainless media and lemi shine. Brass comes out like new.
Do you do a final tumble after being loaded to get some polish on the brass to control tarnish? I've heard the SS pins clean the brass very well, but after a few hours, the brass dulls quick. I haven't decided on media yet. I've found some information on using Simple Green and Lemi Shine and just let the brass rub on each other (no pins). The only plus of the pins is they go through the flash holes. If I do go with pins, I plan to tumble (either in my vibratory tumbler or in the rotary being I'll have an extra drum) the load rounds in dry walnut media with some rouge to polish and coat the brass.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

I usually load them within a couple days and use a little unique case lube. They are shiny enough for me. I usually only tumble them for an hour or so. I like the pins for cleaning the primer pockets.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
jacannon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have never seen anything clean brass like those stainless pins in a tumbler.
jacannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Drum rolls!!

Got the rings tacked on for testing. Tomorrow I will straighten the rings and weld them solid.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Depending on how your brass was resized is what I'd use for cleaning. I made up my own homebrew spray lube of 1 bottle of ISOheet (16oz) to 1 oz liquid Lanolin. I found LemiShine dose stayed the same, but had to add twice the detergent to clean. When I use Lee water soluble sizing lube, I can use some car wash soap with carnauba wax in it.

Nice setup on the tumbler! If you think it's loud now, wait til you load it up and start it. Gonna sound like a Tamborine 101 Class. LOL

I sold my vibe tumblers and got the Frankford Arsenal one with the windows on the ends. Have run 800 300BO at one time with no probs.
M16er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Drum is complete and tumbler overall is done. Video is with the drum half full of water. Drum holds a total of 5 gallons of water. What would be my ratio of pins/water?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing