lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Noisy drive clutch (and other stuff) -- '90 Marathon 2-cycle gas

I didn't get to it yesterday (still pretty sore). I spent the day doing paperwork and a few minor fix-it jobs. (They never end.) Maybe today.

I did notice one interesting thing: The housing has a small area of damage/deterioration -- a cracked area about the size of a penny. Sometimes old spun or stamped parts form stress fractures that look like this (albeit mostly brass parts), so I had attributed it to that. But maybe something came loose on the inside and whacked a small split in the thing. Hmmmmm....

I'm feeling better today. I have quite a few things on my list to get done today, but I'll try to find time to pop that cover off and have a look.
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #22
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Running behind schedule on all my stuff to do, but here it is... my wobbly, dancing clutch. I hope you will pardon the music. I'm new to Youtube and was playing around with video editing capabilities. When I saw my clutch dancing to this music... well... I just couldn't resist.

The first thing that happened when I pulled the cover was that a bunch of small parts fell out (the spacers, I presume). Unfortunately it would appear two of the 6 spacers weren't sold with the cart. I note that one of the three pins on the outside is missing its retaining rollpin, but it was held roughly in position by the cover. Yes, it's pretty worn. All the parts are pretty loosey-goosey, and there's some pretty deep wear between parts that shouldn't have been touching.

I looked at the parts manual provided by Vince in a different thread, and I see a part number for the clutch, but not for any of the parts making up the clutch. I'm guessing that's not a promising sign.

So I'm guessing this means I need to pop $275 for a new Comit clutch?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #23
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

That should buff right out!

Sorry about having to buy a new clutch...
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
vince362291
Getting Wild

The regular ones at golf cart king (site sponser) for 238.99
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #25
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I kinda figured it was toast.

Question: One claim made about the Comet clutch is that you can idle the motor without engaging the clutch. Would the OEM replacement do that as well? One mod I'm considering is to defeat the ignition shut-off when the foot comes off the pedal, so that the engine can keep running. I realize there are complications to handle (cranking the engine when the key is switched on, draining the battery when the idle is too low and the electric motor is dragging the engine), but those can mostly be handled with intelligent circuit design (isolating ignition and starter/generator circuit with relays). Anyway, it would be nice to get a clean idle without engaging the clutch.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So....

I replaced the clutch with a Comet, and it's much, MUCH quieter. I now have a clutch removal tool for the OEM style clutch that I bought new for $30 and would be happy to sell to someone for $20, shipped. (It can't be used to remove the new Comet clutch, so I won't have any more use for it.) I think you'd also need an impact wrench. I don't think my job would have been very easy without one. It was pretty effortless with the impact wrench, though. Admittedly my cart is a bit rusty. (I live in a coastal area.)

The carb is also replaced -- tons of wear in the old one.

I think a voltage regulator is next. The one I have seems to regulate around 12.3V.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO