lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: TXT smoking bad and not running good

Your symptoms all point to too much oil.. Pull and I would change the plugs(NGK bpr5es or possibly bpr4es), drain the oil and put in just 1.5 qts
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
2thousand5.4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Your symptoms all point to too much oil.. Pull and I would change the plugs(NGK bpr5es or possibly bpr4es), drain the oil and put in just 1.5 qts
Will do. I got new spark plugs and I asked the guy for the big not4es but he said they were out of the ngks so he gave me autolight 65s and said they were the same gap and heat range.

I also think the carb needs to be cleaned again. It was running ok after the first time I cleaned it, but a little while after that it would by run so my grandad switched the fuel line to the overflow port (yeah I know stupid) and that got it running but I'm sure it wasn't good for the cart.
2thousand5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The 4 es is a hotter plug than the 5 es, NGK is backwards.. I tried to buy some 5es plugs the other day and he was out of the 5s in one part number at like $2.50 ea but had them in a different number for $4 ea... same plug, different number in their system.. I buy them elsewhere now...

Connecting to the overflow basically just bypassed the float and needle so if it wasn't running with it normally connected it probably needs to be cleaned again..
Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
2thousand5.4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The 4 es is a hotter plug than the 5 es, NGK is backwards.. I tried to buy some 5es plugs the other day and he was out of the 5s in one part number at like $2.50 ea but had them in a different number for $4 ea... same plug, different number in their system.. I buy them elsewhere now...

Connecting to the overflow basically just bypassed the float and needle so if it wasn't running with it normally connected it probably needs to be cleaned again..
I'm hoping it's as simple as an oil and plug Change then as carb cleaning. Bit I'm afraid of worn rings or a bad head gasket, just be cause of how hot and how thick that smoke was. It wasn't like the normal blueish tint burning oil smoke. It literally looked like the cart crapped out a big white fluffy cloud.

Either way I'll probably end up pulling the engine to clean all the crap out of it
Old 08-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My 08 did the same thing a few weeks ago to the point it looked like a mosquito fogger coming down the street.. Found out my nephew had helped and put oil in the cart.. Drained some out and smoke went away..

It is not required but you may want to consider changing the oil filter screen. They are cleanable but I am about to change the one on my 08 just because.. Oil light comes on sometimes at idle so hoping it may just be dirty.. New one will fix that..
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
2thousand5.4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
My 08 did the same thing a few weeks ago to the point it looked like a mosquito fogger coming down the street.. Found out my nephew had helped and put oil in the cart.. Drained some out and smoke went away..

It is not required but you may want to consider changing the oil filter screen. They are cleanable but I am about to change the one on my 08 just because.. Oil light comes on sometimes at idle so hoping it may just be dirty.. New one will fix that..
Haha ok that's good to hear. I'm gonna hold off on a new oil filter for now so invade I do have to order partially just order them all at once.

I'm sure the 2 cups of diesel my cousin put in didn't help it out....
Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #17
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

2K, plugs and a carb clean may be a good fix but be careful... running with 6 qts may have flooded the muffler nad be causing excessive back pressure. This could cause the motor to run hotter or overheat. If it is, you may need to have a muffler BBQ too! After reading about bypassing the carb float, I'd say pull your carb off and clean it out REALLY good.... Personally, these motors are real tough, after all, they were built to be used by golfers.

Confusios also say, man who stand on toilet, high on pot! so be careful bout confusious!
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
2thousand5.4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91kuhndog View Post
2K, plugs and a carb clean may be a good fix but be careful... running with 6 qts may have flooded the muffler nad be causing excessive back pressure. This could cause the motor to run hotter or overheat. If it is, you may need to have a muffler BBQ too! After reading about bypassing the carb float, I'd say pull your carb off and clean it out REALLY good.... Personally, these motors are real tough, after all, they were built to be used by golfers.

Confusios also say, man who stand on toilet, high on pot! so be careful bout confusious!
Well I can't wait to go up there and tear into it!! Is there Any way to adjust the air/fuel on these carbs? I might try to straight pipe it or weld in a cheap glass pack if the muffler is toast. I should be able to give y'all a real update Thursday night
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
2thousand5.4
Not Yet Wild

Ok looks like I will be tearing into this Thursday night. I'm gonna start by draining the oil and cleaning the filter, then filling up with 1.5 quarts of 10w-30, adjusting the valves and cleaning the carb and see where that puts me. If it's still smoking and running like crap ill take the muffler off and straight pipe it for now to see if that helps. If it's still smoking then I guess I'll tear into the engine. Wish me luck
Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

I wouldnt strait pipe it.... it'll annoy you to the point where you wont ride it. If it runs good after changing the oil and adjusting the valves but smokes, just drive it for a while to see if the oil in the muffler burns off. If you cut the pipe or muffler, then realize it's too loud, you'll figure out a muffer for one of these can be VERY expensive. Good Luck!
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO