lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Bogie king
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default I'm stumped, please help. Fuel issues G-16

Ok guys, hope someone has ran into this problem before.....
I have a buddy that owns a 2000 G-16..

He was having problems with it starting up, he would ALWAYS have to pull the choke out to get it to fire, and then it would start right up and run fine. He could always push the cable back in after it started, and it would run fine...

Well, after talking to several people that knew a little something about small engines, they felt like the jet in the carb was probably gummed up or something stuck in it...

Well, instead of dealing with trying to clean the carb, my buddy just ordered a new carb for it, thinking maybe it was do for one, and the exact same problem happened to another friend, and the new carb fixed it...

So last night I helped him install the new carb, everything went fine.

But now, same problem..... have to pull choke cable out for it to take off and go... the engine turns over, it just don't start unless you pull the choke cable out... I was pretty surprised by this, I really though a new carb would take care of a choke problem....

Can they lose prime or something? fuel pump? I don't know, it runs great once it takes off. IT's just that first time you go to take off with it, and it happens EVERY TIME you go to take off with it, not just when it's cold...

any ideas would be great guys...... thanks..!

Last edited by Bogie king; 09-04-2014 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: wrong title
Bogie king is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: I'm stumped, please help.

Choke required for a cold engine would be considered normal. Choke required for a warmed up engine is not normal. Some things to check:

1. Cracks in plastic carb spacer.
2. Improperly sealed air cleaner housing.
3. Float level too low in carburetor.
4. Check compression - valves may be tight/burned, causing poor vacuum.

I'm sure others can give you additional information also. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
chompy
Getting Wild

Default Re: I'm stumped, please help. Fuel issues G-16

I would also check the spark plug. A fouled plug or weak ignition could do the same thing.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Bogie king
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
I would also check the spark plug. A fouled plug or weak ignition could do the same thing.
but when you pull the choke cable out is when it starts and runs great.... wouldn't that mean it's fuel related, not spark related?
Bogie king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
AMF SKIDADDLER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Im having the same issue with my 72 ezgo but mine only seems to need the choke going forward and not so much in reverse....i think i had more compression in reverse than in forward gear...if i figure something out ill keep ya posted
AMF SKIDADDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
duramax
Gone Wild

ck the cable to make sure it is opening the butter fly in the carb when you first press the gas down
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it really sounds fuel related,, 3 things,,, fuel filter, if its old, take it out,and replace, next,, there is a vacuum hose from the fuel pump to the top of engine,, its just by where your dip stick is,, that's the power for the fuel pump, take it off at the fuel pump and blow through it,, if its plugged you will feel it let go,, the diagram in the pump needs a free line. and last is the pump itself,, i use 2oz, of gum out with each 3gal of gas,, my g16 was real gummed when i first got it,, after 3 gal, with gum out, carb. cleaner, it was cured, good luck
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha