lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ez-go rear end (help)

I have a 98 ez-go that I installed a 13hp honda motor with a comet 780 clutch. Ive had it in there for a while and its ran pretty good. It is key start so it dosent start /stop with the gas pedal. When you put it under a big load or shortly after it dosent want to shift from fwd to reverse easy. The last camping trip we were on, I climbed some 3-4 ft hills and when the front tires were up in the air I switched the lever into reverse and it was still trying to go fwd. It was making a noise like it was trying to find the gear. I shut it off and looked under it and it looked as if the lever on the axle was fully engaged. I then turned it back on and after a few more seconds the finally went into reverse. It happened again yesterday when i was pulling an old truck around the shop with it on wheel dollies after i moved it it didn't go into reverse until I shut the motor off. Is my rear end going out? Should I try and adjust the cables? Thanks in advanced!
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: ez-go rear end (help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs27 View Post
I have a 98 ez-go that I installed a 13hp honda motor with a comet 780 clutch. Ive had it in there for a while and its ran pretty good. It is key start so it dosent start /stop with the gas pedal. When you put it under a big load or shortly after it dosent want to shift from fwd to reverse easy. The last camping trip we were on, I climbed some 3-4 ft hills and when the front tires were up in the air I switched the lever into reverse and it was still trying to go fwd. It was making a noise like it was trying to find the gear. I shut it off and looked under it and it looked as if the lever on the axle was fully engaged. I then turned it back on and after a few more seconds the finally went into reverse. It happened again yesterday when i was pulling an old truck around the shop with it on wheel dollies after i moved it it didn't go into reverse until I shut the motor off. Is my rear end going out? Should I try and adjust the cables? Thanks in advanced!
Try for a lower idle rpm. If the belt grabs at all, you will have this situation.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok thanks! Maybe loosening the belt too?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs27 View Post
Ok thanks! Maybe loosening the belt too?
Either way. Lower idle is probably easier. If you loosen the belt too much, you will sacrifice top speed.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I have experienced a similar issue in the past but it was due to the axle being loaded up, under tension. Once I relieved the pressure by rocking it a little, it shifted out of gear like its supposed to.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is weird it seems every time its under a load like climbing a big hill it will be really hard to shift into reverse even if Im at a stand still on flat ground. Like the belt is hot and is grabbing to much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO