lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
tlocus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question A few questions about my 1996 E-Z-Go Medalist Gas

Hello,
Had a few questions (will be updating)

1) The Linkages; Trottle,Carb & governor, have a bit of play in them...guessing the small ball joints/ball joint sockets are worn. These shouldn't have any play in them, correct? Thinking of ordering new ball joints and ball joint sockets.
Parts # 24479-G01
24465-G1

2) DVM Readings on Coil Primary: 3.2 Ohms. Readings on Coil Secondary (with primary still attached): 84 KOhms & (with primary disconnected): 70 KOhms.
Pulsar coil reading (-) on red/wht wire and (+) on blk wire: 19.5 Ohms.

3) Compression test, Do I leave 1 Plug installed while I test other cylinder and do the test dry?

4)...will post back
tlocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
tlocus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A few questions about my 1996 E-Z-Go Medalist Gas

Just doing a small thread bump.
Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Patience . Someone will come around soon and post thoughts on this.
First one will be me.
I would not worry too much about those connectors. They all get worn as time goes on. They look fine.
I am assuming your cart is running bad ? I check the compression with both plugs removed . Should be at least 150. 170 is best. I normally remove one of the wires on coil when testing but that's just me. I don't want it firing when I test compression. Might be some gas close so I just do it. :)

Don't worry too much about testing the coils with a meter. I have seen one show good and it still would spit back out carb. Cheap aftermarket coils do this but yet show good with meter sometimes. Use OEM parts.
Stay away from the China Clone carburetors . I have warned you. Report your compression reading. Check those intake valves. They set on .004
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #4
tlocus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Patience . Someone will come around soon and post thoughts on this.
First one will be me.
I would not worry too much about those connectors. They all get worn as time goes on. They look fine.
I am assuming your cart is running bad ? I check the compression with both plugs removed . Should be at least 150. 170 is best. I normally remove one of the wires on coil when testing but that's just me. I don't want it firing when I test compression. Might be some gas close so I just do it. :)

Don't worry too much about testing the coils with a meter. I have seen one show good and it still would spit back out carb. Cheap aftermarket coils do this but yet show good with meter sometimes. Use OEM parts.
Stay away from the China Clone carburetors . I have warned you. Report your compression reading. Check those intake valves. They set on .004
Thanks Trig123 :)
Engine is the Robins 295cc.
Compression on both is 180. I let it turn over until PSI went no higher (on both cylinders)

As far as I can tell all parts are OEm except the K&N style filter I added with small breather filter.
It runs good. It does have an occasional backfire out the carb.

I haven't messed with the governor but feels a bit sluggish(or not much increase in speed) at mid throttle. When you press pedal all the way it gets a bit more power. It was clocked at +- 25Mph.

Accel. Pedal Ignition micro-switch clicks first then carb. throttle valve starts to open (i believe this is correct?)

Plugs look good with the light brown color & dry.

t
Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #5
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Adding the K&N style filter will allow the engine to breath better. Which will lean the jetting. You might think about changing the main jet to a larger one. A good first step would be to install the main jet used in the same carb for the 350 EZGO engine. That is the only difference in the two carbs for that generation of two cylinder EZGO engines.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Original carburetor ? or aftermarket ?
Believe me I have tried them both. Never again on the $20 versions. Sometimes you get lucky but to me its not worth the trouble. Do you know if yours was changed ?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
tlocus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Adding the K&N style filter will allow the engine to breath better. Which will lean the jetting. You might think about changing the main jet to a larger one. A good first step would be to install the main jet used in the same carb for the 350 EZGO engine. That is the only difference in the two carbs for that generation of two cylinder EZGO engines.
Thanks Rooster59,
I remember something similar said when I was doing that to my minibike.
So just get a stock main jet for the 350cc Robins engine?
Thanks

Quote:
Original carburetor ? or aftermarket ?
Believe me I have tried them both. Never again on the $20 versions. Sometimes you get lucky but to me its not worth the trouble. Do you know if yours was changed ?
I'm pretty sure original carb. Any markings on it to confirm?

thanks

t
Old 02-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I have noticed on the aftermarket ones not having any marking on throttle plate. The originals have a number like 15 on them. I included a picture of both aftermarket and original. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbs.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlocus View Post
Thanks Rooster59,
I remember something similar said when I was doing that to my minibike.
So just get a stock main jet for the 350cc Robins engine?
Thanks

I'm pretty sure original carb. Any markings on it to confirm?

thanks

t
The 350 carb uses one step larger main jet than the 295 carb. That would be a good place to start. No way to tell for certain until you try it. It may be running OK now with the foam air filter. If it runs stronger with the larger main jet you know you are going in the right direction.

When you add a lower restriction air filter you are only allowing more air. The engine needs a proper mix of air and fuel. You started one aspect of the improvement but need to finish with adding the proper amount of more fuel to match the improved air flow.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
tlocus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have noticed on the aftermarket ones not having any marking on throttle plate. The originals have a number like 15 on them. I included a picture of both aftermarket and original. Tom
I will check that out trigg123. thanks for the heads up!

I found these main jets...wondering which one is for the 350 or the right 350 main jet lol?
26646G02
(UTD) *JET-MAIN-#84-CARB-4CYC-FUJI

or

26646G03
(UTD) *JET-MAIN-#76-CARB-4CYC-FUJI

or

72558G01
UTD - CARB, 4 CYC, #90 JET (P)

Here's another:
#92 MAIN CARBURETOR JET FOR 4-CYCLE
$39.33

https://shop.txtsv.com/92-main-carbu...et-for-4-cycle

Seems like one above, looking around is the stock main jet for the 350...??? not sure
yow...well totally lost on which one to get..hehe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO