lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
newman0912
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1985 Marathon Driven Clutch Dust Cover

Hi.
We just purchased a really nice Marathon gas cart, and it's in great condition. The other day I thought I smelled something burning and found that the dust cover "button" on the driven clutch was gone, the dust cover was slightly deformed at the middle cone area, and the governor flat plate was not working as designed.

2 Questions.

I found plastic replacement dust cover with button for only $8 online and ordered it. I can put it back on, and I'll bet the problem is solved.

But, before I do that, I do notice that without the cover, the cart runs a whole lot faster than it did before. To that point, is it recommended to just remove the old, sheet metal dust cover completely and run it that way without putting the new dust cover on?

By the way, we only use it to casually drive around our neighborhood, at a responsible speed. The driving is only limited to a few adults who don't speed around.

Thanks!
newman0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 Marathon Driven Clutch Dust Cover

If you have no interest in the governor, you can do what 99% of have done. Throw it in the trash.
You will go from 12mph to 18mph. You can remove the governor cable from just the carburetor, or the entire unit.

Many of us are running without the white dust cover. Mine exploded into a thousand pieces during a cold winter morning. I never even considered replacing it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
newman0912
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 Marathon Driven Clutch Dust Cover

Thanks for the advice.
I decided to remove the governor assembly, pulled the cable from the carburetor out, but I left the dust cap on the driven clutch. Seemed like it won't hurt anything to leave it on, and when I removed the 3 screws to look inside the dust cover, the clutch mechanism was really clean, so it made sense to leave the cover on.

I know from other 2 stroke applications that they like to run at higher rpms so I don't think that running it without the governor will hurt anything.

Thanks again!
newman0912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO