lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive and Sheave fell off

If that was me I would do the weld trick
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
tmlraiders
Not Yet Wild

Gonna try welding a nut on it. I guess if that doesn't work in screwed. Found out that the clutch grooves we completely smoothed so it was spinning freely around the spline which is why it broke in the first place.
tmlraiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
tmlraiders
Not Yet Wild

Well it wouldn't come out no matter what we did. So we drilled it out, the spline metal is too hard to tap new threads so we welded a stud into it. Also ordered a new clutch because the grooves in it were completely smoothed out which is why it started rattling real bad and the bolt broke. Hopefully the weld holds. It seems really sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200502_200026[5432].jpg (137.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #14
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ouch!! I can see the heat that has been applied to that shaft, probably why it was too hard to tap. Welding a stud in there is definately a desperate last move thing, I do understand why you went that way but to be honest (not meant to be rude) I don't like it for a few reasons.

The clutch is meant to bottom out onto that shaft but with the weld in the way it won't be able to, that'll throw off the belt alighnment. I can see in the pic the stud isn't straight either, perhaps there will be enough flex in the all-thread to bend it to center. But to me it's high on the scale of a 'cobbled' repair....

Sorry for my opinion and I sincerely hope it does work out for you, just being honest.......Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Ouch!! I can see the heat that has been applied to that shaft, probably why it was too hard to tap. Welding a stud in there is definately a desperate last move thing, I do understand why you went that way but to be honest (not meant to be rude) I don't like it for a few reasons.

The clutch is meant to bottom out onto that shaft but with the weld in the way it won't be able to, that'll throw off the belt alighnment. I can see in the pic the stud isn't straight either, perhaps there will be enough flex in the all-thread to bend it to center. But to me it's high on the scale of a 'cobbled' repair....

Sorry for my opinion and I sincerely hope it does work out for you, just being honest.......Good Luck
I’ll be interested to see how it works for you. Like Dabble Inn said it’ll need a stop on the shaft for the clutch location. Have seen some pretty fancy angle grinder work in similar situation. ( I’ve never been that good!) The input shaft was heat-treated, and all-thread is real soft, so don’t tighten it much. Even if it was Grade 8 all-thread, it ain’t anymore. It might just work for a while until you can replace the shaft, or rear end , or cart! Not like I’ve ever “ cobbled” anything . . . hahaha
I think my nose just grew . . .
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
tmlraiders
Not Yet Wild

Lol yup it was a last ditch effort. If I get through 5 rounds I'll consider it to have worked
Old 05-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #17
tmlraiders
Not Yet Wild

Well it may have worked. Drove it for 20 minutes straight around my house then took it to the golf course and drove it on the entire front 9. No problems and the clutch spun perfectly straight. Ill call it good after 10 rounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200509_190408.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200509_190401.jpg (185.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #18
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlraiders View Post
Well it may have worked. Drove it for 20 minutes straight around my house then took it to the golf course and drove it on the entire front 9. No problems and the clutch spun perfectly straight. Ill call it good after 10 rounds.
Great! I’d call it a win. Thanks for letting us know.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear it, Thanks for the update
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO