lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
A.D.
Gone Wild

Default Lights go out when in reverse

Can anyone tell me why my lights go out when i put it into reverse. I have the voltage reducer wired to the (-) terminal on the batery pack and the positive lead comes from the (+) terminal on the other side of the pack to the on/off switch and then back to the voltage reducer. Does the battery pack switch polarity and the voltage reducer can't take a that change???
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lights go out when in reverse

Sounds like the lights are grounded to the frame. Nothing on an electric cart can be grounded to the frame. You need to have both + and - wires from your lights going to the voltage reducer.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. View Post
Can anyone tell me why my lights go out when i put it into reverse. I have the voltage reducer wired to the (-) terminal on the batery pack and the positive lead comes from the (+) terminal on the other side of the pack to the on/off switch and then back to the voltage reducer. Does the battery pack switch polarity and the voltage reducer can't take a that change???
Main + from Pack to Main + of V/R, (switch in between if necessary.)
Main - from Pack to Main - of V/R

From V/R 12 volts + to lights only.
From V/R 12 volts - to lights ground, no where else!

Right now it isn't wired like that!

Or... If your cart is designed to only use half your pack in reverse, you have the main negative lead on the wrong battery!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
A.D.
Gone Wild

I think that is what my problem is. I am going to tear down the cart and re-wire it so i will make sure not to ground it to the frame. This site has been a lot of help. Thanks guys!!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
A.D.
Gone Wild

I started to take the cart apart last night and what you assumed was true, it was grounded to the frame. My next question is can you wire the light in series? For example wire the (+) output from the V.R. to the first light and the (-) to the last light or does each light need its own curcuit?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Practically speaking it is not a good idea to wire lights in series, if one burns out, you lose the series string and all the lights go out. If you tied series wired lights to your converter they would be awfully dim, like putting 12v light bulbs in a 6v circuit.
You're far better off wiring each bulb + and - back to a common connector or terminal strip and then connecting to your converter.
You could solder all the connections together then shrink wrap or use a terminal strip like this:
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car