lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
GregH
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 club car can hear motor run but car will not move

I have a 97 Club Car 48 volt with charged 6 month old batteries. The cart lost power while beginning to start up a hill. It will not go in forward or reverse. It sounds like the motor is running when the pedal is pressed, yet there is no movement of the wheels or even the shudder that accompanies weak batteries. Is there a shear pin or key somewhere that could be responsible? Any ideas will be appreciated.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car can hear motor run but car will not move

i,m not an expert on motors but if your saying you hear the motor turning but no movement its time to take the motor off and see what went wrong.......theres no shear pin in them that i know of.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pull the motor off and make sure you mark where your wires go back and you will see a fiber bushing in the female end on the motor,is it stripped out? If it is this is the problem.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Pull the motor off and make sure you mark where your wires go back and you will see a fiber bushing in the female end on the motor,is it stripped out? If it is this is the problem.
either that or he sheared the input shaft splines (although I would have to say I have never seen a club car shear the input shaft, mainly just E-Z-GO does that lol).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
GregH
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
either that or he sheared the input shaft splines (although I would have to say I have never seen a club car shear the input shaft, mainly just E-Z-GO does that lol).
I pulled the motor. The splines in the female end look to be about 1/16 deep. Is that the normal depth? The other gears seem to be fine as well. Where is the input shaft? I will check it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the input shaft is the male end that the motor slides onto. There is only 1 other place that that I can think of that could be causing this and that is the splined end of one of the axle half shafts. If the Input shaft is good, jack up the rear end (leave the motor off for now) and try rotating one of the wheels slowly. You should see the other wheel turning (in the opposite direction) as well as the input shaft turning. If this isn't happening, let me know and I will tell you how to pull the axles out to check the splines on the end and determine which you need to replace.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

rabbit, i,m with you i don,t think i ever saw a C.C. axleshaft strip..............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
GregH
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
the input shaft is the male end that the motor slides onto. There is only 1 other place that that I can think of that could be causing this and that is the splined end of one of the axle half shafts. If the Input shaft is good, jack up the rear end (leave the motor off for now) and try rotating one of the wheels slowly. You should see the other wheel turning (in the opposite direction) as well as the input shaft turning. If this isn't happening, let me know and I will tell you how to pull the axles out to check the splines on the end and determine which you need to replace.
I'll check the input shaft tomorrow. I worked my way up to the motor from the left rear axle. The right one is still attached, but the wheels turned when the opposite one was rotated. The gears appear to be fine. If I understand correctly there will not be any keys holding those gears on their shafts? Thanks for the help...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
rabbit, i,m with you i don,t think i ever saw a C.C. axleshaft strip..............
I have once.... not a pretty sight and not a cheap fix either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I'll check the input shaft tomorrow. I worked my way up to the motor from the left rear axle. The right one is still attached, but the wheels turned when the opposite one was rotated. The gears appear to be fine. If I understand correctly there will not be any keys holding those gears on their shafts? Thanks for the help...
no, there are no keyed axles (thank heavens) on club cars (at least none that I have ever seen). If you are getting rotation on the right while turning the left, the spider gear is ok, now you just need to make sure the input shaft is also spinning. I saw a reply just a moment ago to another topic similar to your that had some great information in it you may want to check out as well. I'll be the first person to tell you I am not an expert on Club Car as all of my knowledge of that brand comes from the school of hard knocks (aka trial and error).
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
GregH
Not Yet Wild

The input shaft looks good. All the gears move smoothly. Does any of the electrical equipment make a noise similar to the motor running? I may be chasing the wrong rabbit!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car