lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need general "getting started" info on 96 CC...

On my previous post about wiring for 400 amp controllers it seems that I have recieved so many questions on why I recommend that they feel is too heavy with 2 guage? The reason I use it instead of 4 guage is that often when running a lifted, windshielded, 22" and up tired cart with rear seat and springs, etc the cables seem to get much warmer at speed than I like? In one case I had a local cart owner whose all new 4 guage welding cables, 5 hp motor, and the matched controller got very warm and when I contacted manufacturer ( not Alltrax ) they recommended going up to next guage on all cables? I had gone over all cable, and cable connections and controller mounting, etc without finding any problems so contacting controller manufacturer is always my next step. This did in fact solved the problem to owners satifaction and has been running fine for over 2 years. I base my ideas on what has solved problems and worked for me in the past? If the additional costs of about .30 per foot ( last time I purchased cable stock ) plus minor difference of cable ends cost isnt being on safe side what can I say? I would like to get input from others with findings on this question please.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
ccstretch
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OLD MEC, scottyb, and easydoesit,
Many thanks! I've logged this info for when I begin to replace the wires.

So that I don't put the cart before the horse (great point OLD MEC!), before I proceed I'll look at the options for upgrades (controller, motor) and make a solid plan as I want to pursue some reasonable torgue and speed upgrades (being mindful of safety as this is a family cart).

Thanks for getting me started on this as until your responses I was totally in the dark about all this. I really appreciate your patience.
ccstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thats what the forum is all about, helping each other and learning.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

CC, I recently upgraded to 2ga instead of 4ga. The reason I did so is because I am about to go with 500amp controller. Cables are cool to the touch after long rides. I think the question is "why not" since going wider will not hurt in any way. The word"overkill" which has been used in the past in regards to this situation confuses me. Overkill would mean that going with 2ga instead of 4 ga will have ill-effects on the components. If anything, I personally believe that it could only help. Their was one member who said "if I can do it all over again I would go to 2ga instead". 400amp controller does call for at minimum a 4ga setup but as OldMec said with lift, wheels, etc. probably be better just to be on the safe side. Again, going wider will only help with future mods such as upgrade to 500amp controller so why not?
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Overkill is applying more resource or material than needed.... Resulting in diminished return of investment.
Sort of like buying a Mercedes when a Honda would have done the job.
Up until 1 yr ago Alltrax engineers didn't recommend 2 gauge for any of their 650 amp controllers.... now they recommend them for 500 amp and up applications.
By my calculations #2 costs nearly twice as much #4 cables to build. Your costs will vary, I buy the best materials in bulk.
These are engineered calculations to show the benefit of 2g over 4g in a 48 inch long test cable.
48 volts 200 amps #4 cable = 47.75v
48 volts 200 amps #2 cable = 47.87v

I have carts out there using #4 cable and 500 amp controllers and PQ motors running 30mph without problem.... so you have to decide for yourselves if #2 or even #1 cables are needed or not.
Happy carting. Enjoy that Mercedes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Enjoy the Mercedes, good one....
Old 11-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Enjoy the Mercedes, good one....
Exactly. I'm not saying it's wrong.... I'm saying I have gotten where I have gone in fords and hondas
Old 11-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Were those carts running 30 mph, lifted with 22/23's, rear seats, etc.?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks again Scotty, because of your experience, the information that you bring is valuable to those of us in this forum!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car