lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Hound01Dog
Not Yet Wild

Default Ello everyone first time post

Well first off I want to say hi and thanks in advance for all help that I recieve. I have been browsing this site for a while now and have found tons of good advice.

A little background on myself I was in the Navy as an Electronic tech on Submarines until 2006 then started working on electronics in the oilfield and I am still doing that today. The other day I was browsing craigslist and saw a golf cart for sale or trade and next thing i know its sitting in my garage. I have made the assumption based on the information in your stickies that I have acquired a 2000 series DS club car 48V. Luckily i only have 400 in the cart because the next day I went and bought the 6-8V Crown batteries and paid a nice 650 with tax. Oh by the way this is the first golf cart I have ever owned and plan on making it look really nice but its main purpose is going to be played on the golf course.

Ok now here is where i may need a little assistance from the pros. As soon as i placed the batteries in the cart and got them all hooked up (and made sure it worked) I hooked up the charger that came with it and it kicked it up to like 15 amps and i just let it run overnight. The next day the charger was shut off and we rode it around for about 2 hours and put it back in the garage on the charger (powerdrive charger) the next day the charger was shut off but the battery light was on so I unplugged the charger and replugged it in and it only ran for about 10 minutes and shut off, yet the light stayed on. So I just left it alone all night on the charger which had shut off soon anyway. Today after getting home from work i unplugged the charger which wasn't running and the light again came on.

I then did the OBC reset (also found in the stickies) and still the light was on. I then checked the battery voltage and found the following ( mind you these batteries are maybe a week old and was manufactured december of 2010)

Battery 1 is the battery with the main + and battery 6 is the main -

Battery 1 = 8.51
Battery 2 = 8.52
Battery 3 = 8.48
Battery 4 = 8.49
Battery 5 = 8.51
Battery 6 = 8.51

Total battery power = 51V

According to the stickies on battery voltage this should be about normal for voltage on 48v but this battery light is confusing me. I know i should get a voltage meter to install in the cart but havent had it long enough to know what the best one to get is.

Sorry for such a long post but i know from my many days and nights spent on iboats that when im trying to answer a question the more details the better.

Again thanks in advance for any help i can get. Oh and its the newer 2000 model with the newer style top and seats. It also has the F R switch not toggle looking one but the big one.
Hound01Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Newest Obsession
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ello everyone first time post

Welcome. Get your credit card ready! This site will have the neighorhood envying you..
Newest Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

WELCOME TO I THINK THE BEST FORUM PERIOD.
Sounds like from your explanation that you either have a OBC ( on board computer ) light problem or a few times I have had the same problem with new batterys until it has had many discharge-recharge cycles to bring battery power up fully? Normally this takes 30-50 cycles for full power and then after doing another resetting OBC light stays out?
The lights function is to say that the batterys either are low or there is a wiring problem?
I find the light a pain in the neck because of this same problem SO on my own carts I add a analog volt meter ( CHEAPER PRICE ) or if money is no object a digital meter ( LOTS MORE EXPENSIVE ).
NOTES
#1 I would ask if the negative pack cable is running through the OBC, from your post if it wasnt correct the charger would either not turn on or run all the time. ( can be bypassed ) but charger would run all the time 120 volts was plugged in.
#2 OBC will turn charger off after 16 hours even if batterys are not fully charged but again your reading dont indicate a problem.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Hound01Dog
Not Yet Wild

Yea I'm not sure I'll check the wiring when I get back from Houston I noticed a red wire going to nowhere from I think the F/R swith but not sure.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is a red wire with white stripe that goes from controller B minus terminal to the second micro switch on back of F&R control "NOTE other wire is ORANGE" ( 3 micros stacked on back side ), first one ( against body of F&R ) is neutral, second is reverse alarm, third is 1/2 reverse speed. So if that what you see loose its no big deal as many unhook reverse alarm as too noisy, not that its a good idea because in some area's law suits are won because of disconnecting alarms?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Hound01Dog
Not Yet Wild

I got back from houston and the battery light is still on and the the wife and kids drove the cart and i measured the voltage and its at 46 volts. I tried plugging the charger in and i can hear the charger kick on it hits about 15 amps then back to zero and never leaves 0. I tried resetting the OBC again to no avail. Now when i try to put it in forward or reverse it wont go anywhere. The reverse buzzer comes on but it wont move. It seems to want to move at first but doesnt. How could i check the OBC or speed controller or is there a troubleshooting method i can use to eliminate each section to narrow it down. I dont want to start throwing money down the drain that i dont need to. THanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Welcome to BGW.
It's nice to see another guy who actually plays golf,where I come from
about 90% of carts are used for golf.
Don't worry you will get a lot of stick from guys on here,but all top blokes,you have started off well with OLD MEC There is not much that will stomp him.your in good hands with this site,so enjoy and get the moths out of wallet.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Hound01Dog
Not Yet Wild

Yea I love to play golf i try to go every weekend and enjoy it even if im not very good. I'm going to keep my cart pretty close to stock except for some paint and maybe a radio or little stuff like that. How do i know if my OBC is bad? I dont know much about the cart i put new batteries in it and at first it was fine now it wont move and wont charge and the batteries are sitting at 46 volts. Other than ebay is there a good place to get a OBC or speed controller? and if im going to buy one anyway should i upgrade and get something better? or is there something easy that is bad? I dont think its the motor because it was running fine and then i come back and it wont charge and the cart wont move. Any help?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Hound01Dog
Not Yet Wild

ok I feel a little dumb I unplugged the charger and then it moved Seems i didnt know if it was plugged in it wont move I then drove it back and forth about 5 times for 2 foot and plugged it back and and it seems to be charging now (it went to 10 amps and stayed there) Is there a specific position it needs to be in to charge correctly (I.E. key off, in neutral?)

Pretty soon I will understand what im working with.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound01Dog View Post
Yea I love to play golf i try to go every weekend and enjoy it even if im not very good. I'm going to keep my cart pretty close to stock except for some paint and maybe a radio or little stuff like that. How do i know if my OBC is bad? I dont know much about the cart i put new batteries in it and at first it was fine now it wont move and wont charge and the batteries are sitting at 46 volts. Other than ebay is there a good place to get a OBC or speed controller? and if im going to buy one anyway should i upgrade and get something better? or is there something easy that is bad? I dont think its the motor because it was running fine and then i come back and it wont charge and the cart wont move. Any help?
Hound01dog, Mate I am in the same boat as you,when it comes to carts,there are so many different variations ,mine cart is same as yours ,I have pics on profile,but mine is IQ DS model which has shunt motor. OLD MEC is one of the best to help,the other younger guy will come to me soon.{hate getting old}.Your best place for buying parts ,is sponsors on this site,they go out of their way to help and at a good price.
Rick.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car