lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding my 84(?) EZGO. Few questions..

Sorry for all the goofy questions guys, but I have one more... Is the puller in the picture below the one I need?

I haven't purchased it yet, but plan to get it this weekend if its the right one. Also, I just want to make sure I know how it works.. I see 4 small screw holes where I took off a round plate on the front of the fan. You can see the screws I'm referring to in this pic:

Is this where two of the M6 bolts will attach? Do the thick washers you mentioned go on the M6 bolts or the center bolt?

I'm guessing the center bolt of the puller will just push against the threaded end of the crank shaft where I removed the nut, and the M6 bolts will screw into the holes I mentioned above. Still not sure what the washers are for.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1.JPG (68.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (97.9 KB, 104 views)
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Plummy,

That one looks fine! However, you may need to end up buying M6 bolts for it, which likely won't have big enough heads, which then means you'll need to use washers.

Did you cut the end off yout crank close to the bolt? Mine was way longer, and I had to cut it down so that I could get purchase in the flywheel holes with my bolts.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ah, so thats what the washers are for. Thanks Scooter! Going to pick one up.

Nah, I haven't cut anything off of it.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have fun!

(Giggles evilly)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #25
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Booyah! Thanks to you guys, I got the flywheel off and the crank case split.

Now more questions.

1) After splitting the crank case, one bearing (flywheel side) stayed stuck in the crank case, and both bearings AND the crank appear to be stuck on the clutch side of the crank case. Any tricks to getting these out? I'm thinking maybe heat the crank case with a torch and see if I can beat them out with a mallet? I've already tried to tap them out without heat and no luck.

2) Am I understanding correctly that it has two bearings on the side where the clutch is? I noticed the rebuild kits include 3 bearings total. I still haven't got the first one loose from the crank case so I'm guessing one side has them doubled up.

3) Upon splitting the case, I noticed that there's not a fuel pump pressure pickup tube inside the case. It only has a threaded hole where it looks like one used to screw in there. Isn't it supposed to have a tube entering the case where the fuel pump is? I've looked everywhere thinking maybe I knocked it loose when I split the case, but no luck finding it.. Do they sell the tube without having to buy the whole fuel pump? As far as I can tell, my fuel pump looks fine so I'd like to just replace the tube if possible.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (124.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (111.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey plummy, I didn't break open my bottom end, so I can't help you there. Dave or Madoc should be along soon - seems to me Madoc broke open his bottom.

(that sure reads funny)

On my block, it had a nipple on the outside that the tube slipped over then clamped down.

(that sure reads funny too)

If you don't have that, and your pump is not mounted on your block, then you will need something you can attach a vacuum hose to. Possibly your local EZGo dealer may even have something.

I seem to remember heat being the way to get the bearings out, and using grey permatex for resealing, and yada, yada. Could also try searching the forums - there are good step-by-steps in some of the other posts.

Actually, getting that flywheel off look like it was way to easy for you! And hey! Why is everything behind it so clean and nice? Why didn't we get to share your tears and frustration!

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 08-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: To add disdain to my post
Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #27
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Scooter. :)

To be honest, both the clutch and the flywheel came off easier than I had expected. But I figure thats because I have you and Dave telling me exactly how to do it. If it wasn't for you guys, I'd have to attempt to figure it out myself and it would have been much more difficult... if not impossible.

On a side note, when the flywheel popped off it scared the hell out of me. I had it soaked with wd40 and under a good bit of pressure with the puller clamped on.. After letting it soak for about an hour I went back to give the center bolt of the puller another turn.. About the time I got my wrench on the bolt it made a very loud "pop" and the flywheel came off with so much force that it hit me in the belly.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #28
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had mine under so much pressure, it literally shot four feet across the garage. Never heard of one coming off that easy though. Wow.

Anyways, continue to have fun - hopefully you get the bearing answers you want. Seems to me there may have even been a discussion regarding cracking the case in my rebuild thread (prompted by being unable to get one of the crank seals out).
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #29
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I finally got the bearings out of the case. I used a propane torch to heat & expand the case a little like you suggested, and they came out with a bit of persuasion from a hammer & screwdriver.

One thing still has me baffled. I know I remember reading somewhere that its supposed to have some kind of tube on the inside of the case to pick up crank case pressure which operates the fuel pump. Mine doesn't have one. It just has a threaded hole where it looks like one should attach (see pic).

Scooter, is this the same thing you were referring to in your previous post about the nipple on the outside? The tube (or lack of) I'm talking about is on the inside of the crank case just below the fuel pump. I'm almost positive I read somewhere that its supposed to have a pick up tube here. I remember someone saying that theirs had dry-rotted and had to be replaced. Maybe they were talking about a different engine (3pg)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (65.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #30
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ordered my complete rebuild kit today.

Do you guys think its best to press the bearings into the case first, or should I have them pressed onto the crankshaft and then work them into the case?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO