lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
ram101a
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 CLUB CAR UPGRADE TO 48V Can it be done?

OK, I am new to this, purchased an 86 Club car, 36v with no batteries. Would like to upgrade to 48v while getting the cart up and going. I have never had the cart running but previous owner sad it ran fine 2.5yrs ago when he stored it, it just had bad batteries.
The question here is... What will I need to replace to upgrade the motor to 48v safely? I know I will need new batteries and motor but I don't know what else.
I recently contacted a club car dealer to determine if the motor I have was able to be installed and was told that you can not upgrade an 86 club car. They could not give me and anser but told me they would take the cart on trade for a 48v. Seemed more like they just wanted to sell me a cart then help. If I truely cannot upgrade then fine. I will just have to make this cart purty with a 36v motor!! LOL
Any and all help would be great. Thank you in advance!
ram101a is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 CLUB CAR UPGRADE TO 48V Can it be done?

Anything can be done for a price. You need to post what type of resistors, etc that cart now has. If its multi solenoid, I've heard its easier to convert to solid state, but thats a lota dollars.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if its a resistor cart its kinda pricey.......better off selling and putting money to a controller cart and than upgrading from there...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum ram101a.....................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you upgrade to 48 volts KEEP THE 36 VOLT MOTOR! You do not need another motor. The motor will be just fine on 48 volts and as an added bonus you will see power gains across the board. Putting a 36 volt motor in a 48 volt cart is an old trick to gain more power....you can do just the opposite and see the same gains.

I would however seriously consider loooking into an electronic speed controller conversion. In the long run you will be glad you did.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

You are about to put over $1000 into upgrading a 22 year old car, why not spend a little, or even a lot more and just buy a newer 48v car?

Your front end parts are nearing obsolete, unless your motor has been changed its parts are probably near worn. Rear ends are usually long lasting, but 22 years is a long time.

The dealer DID want to sell you a car, thats what us dealers do, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in your best interest.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
ram101a
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
You are about to put over $1000 into upgrading a 22 year old car, why not spend a little, or even a lot more and just buy a newer 48v car?

Your front end parts are nearing obsolete, unless your motor has been changed its parts are probably near worn. Rear ends are usually long lasting, but 22 years is a long time.

The dealer DID want to sell you a car, thats what us dealers do, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in your best interest.
Now see I can appreciate the way you put that and it makes sense. Had the guy I spoke with put it that way I wouldn't have minded. Don't just tell me it can't be done and when I ask why, he tells me it just can't be done but we have some 48v carts here we can sell you. I guess it's all in the way you put things.
ram101a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

He probably didn't know it could be done, most cart businesses are not very old. Our company is almost 50 years old. (I haven't done it that long, I've only married in about two years ago) :-) .

What I've learned through instruction, and a little experience is just because it can be done, doesn't mean it makes sense to do it.

Whatever you do, good luck. Golf cars are fun, and us nuts on this forum will be happy to help you. It's hard not to make a friend here.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
lorencc
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

I find myself in a similar situation. I have a working 36v 1987 CC, but I want
to upgrade it to 48V with a modern controller. I have the service manual and a pretty good capability with electrical things but any pointers or experiences would be helpful.
lorencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
ggwearsch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi Ram101a,
Welcome to the forum! I write this because like you I had an old 87cc and wanted to update it to 48v, I found on this forum all the threads and instructions on how to do this.
When it came to purchasing all the parts it came out to around $1200 to get the job done.
I decided to purchase a newer 48v cart with what I could get for my old cart and the 1200 I would have spent, I purchase an 2002 cc with new batteries that had been stored for 2 yrs, great shape and runs fine.
Now I can spend more money on what ever and still be using the cart.
Just my 2 cents.
ggwearsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car