lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default More Clutch and Belt Questions

Well I got the tape cleaned off of the pulleys and replaced the belt, but now it seems as if the cart is shiftibg at a lower RPM. It also seems to engage a lot faster, and the cart jerks to a stop if I let the cart roll to a stop. I greased both clutches, but that didn't seem to help at all. Unfortunately, I still don't have a service manual, so I'm kind of in the dark with what to look at or do. Do the sheaves need to be greased, or is there something else that may help with this issue? Nothing seems to be broken or loose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: More Clutch and Belt Questions

Do you have some tape or adhesive or bits of blown belt still stuck down inside one of your clutches? When a snowmobile blows a belt this often happens, and you end up taking them apart for a thorough cleaning.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds like the rear sheaves (clutch) system isn't working properly. Jack up the cart, use jack stands (BE SAFE!!!!) and run it and watch the rear clutch sheaves. See if they spread apart and then close when letting off the gas. Bushing might be wore out on the inner sheave. Or, you may have grease on the clutches somewhere: belt, sheaves, or shaft.........

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies. I don't think there is grease on anythig, after all of that work I double checked to make sure that the pulleys and belt were free of any residue. As far as taking the clutches apart to clean or inspect them, can you give me a little direction. By there construction, I'm assuming the rear one would have junk in it. How do I disassemble that one. I read the sticky on torque kit installs, but I'm still not that familiar. Will the torque spring push the inner piece of the pully off if I remove the outer one? Is the 17 mm nut standard or reverse thread? I'm sorry for all of the dumb questions... I would like to fix it, but I would rather not make anything worse if possible. I can inspect all of the pieces for wear or damage after I disassemble it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

One more thing... can anyone explain hae the sheaves look when the open and close (move). I think I understand it, but again I'm not sure.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mike i preach when it comes to running a sled or
cart and filming, observing the clutches.
DO NOT STAND IN LINE WHILE THEY ARE SPINNING.
It seems you may have clutch problems with the failed belt
and the shudder.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try this

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

And this

Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the videos... I was looking for info on how the secondary looks when the engine is revving up. Like how far the sheaves move, or if they need to be lubed to move more smoothly. It looks like the primary is working ok. I'm just trying to figure out why the change in performance...kind of learning as I go.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Try this
Hey, that's my clutches!

It just spreads as you get rpm and it shifts. At rest the belt should be held at the top. If you don't have a torque spring in it, you can take the belt off and move it in/out and twist the spring up by hand...check the bushing for play, etc.

It sounds like the belt is dragging on the primary (engine clutch) if it jerks when you stop. This can be often from it needing lube because it is not opening when you stop. If you can pull it out more after you stop and the cart does not creep on the starter then it needs lube or clean and lube. Also what does that is a new belt because its sticky, and your belt might be sticky due to what has happened. I would find some dust and run in it and just drive it for a bit, after you check the clutches over for lube needs/etc.

When the belt gets to the top of the primary at high rpm, that is all the further it will go down into the secondary. It should be about all the way depending on belt wear. Mostly the secondary takes up the slack belt and reacts to engine torque under heavy load, otherwise the primary shifts according to rpm.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha