lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default G2 Steering Box Adjustment

I am experiencing a bit of binding in my steering box, particularly when the cart is pointed straight and I start to turn right or left. I have the service manual and have read the procedure for the adjustment, however, I was hoping someone who has done the adjustment might add some pointers for me.

It seems like there are two different adjustments and I am not sure which one I need to mess with to get rid of the slight binding I am experiencing. Do I need to adjust the small bolt with jam nut on the cover, or adjust the bolt at the end of the steering shaft itself?

Do I need to take the cover off of the gear box and add more grease or is there somewhere I can pump grease in with a grease gun?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Steering Box Adjustment

Anyone ever have to make adjustments to their steering box? Any pointers on lubricating the internals?

I am going to have time this afternoon to tackle it, so hopefully it's not too complicated.

I would really like to convert the cart to rack and pinion steering in the future, I have seen a few threads on other people doing the conversion. If there is a certain brand/model of cart which is preferred to get parts from, please share!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Remove the cover from box and clean out old oil and debris from inside and pack the box full of grease. Loosen the 10mm nut on top and turn adjustment screw with a screw driver. Due to wear, you will have some spots tighter than other spots when turning the steering wheel, find the happy medium.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

It's simple - loosen and remove the adjuster screw on the top - front of the steering box. Squirt as much 105 Lubriplate grease in that hole as possible. Install the adjuster screw back in. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth gentle - you can see the pitmen arm move in and out as the wheel is rocked back and forth. Tighten the adjuster screw in and remove all of the in and out motion of the pitmen arm. Tighten the lock nut and drive it for a while to work the new grease in -- then check your adjustment again. The biggest reason they get stiff and sticky is they haven't been lubed in - who knows how long.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thanks TNG and Shep for the tips!

I just discovered yesterday when looking at the gear box that the rubber bushings on one of my new front shocks failed already! Luckily they were still within the return window for Amazon, so when the replacement set arrives tomorrow, I will tackle the gearbox at the same time I replace the front shocks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha