lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
adamq72
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 G16 not firing, clutch spinning

Pulled the gas line off the carb, and no fuel coming out at all when I press the accelerator. This would lead me to replacing the fuel pump, but anyone have a clue what the very loud banging sound was that started this?
adamq72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That doesn't sound right to me when it spins. It sounds like either the clutch is spinning on the crankshaft or the engine has zero compression (broken rod maybe)?

Can you remove the spark plug, and stick a wooden dowel or something in the spark plug hole (something long) and slowly turn the clutch by hand. Verify the dowel moves up and down, this tells me the piston is moving. If so, remove the valve cover and see if the valves are actually moving when it spins? That will answer a lot before you go buying anything.

If both the piston and valves are moving, rent a compression tester from your local auto parts store (its free) and check compression.

To me, that motor just spins waaaaay too freely for it to be right. But it doesnt cost anything except a few minutes to prove me wrong
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That doesn't sound right to me when it spins. It sounds like either the clutch is spinning on the crankshaft or the engine has zero compression (broken rod maybe)?

Can you remove the spark plug, and stick a wooden dowel or something in the spark plug hole (something long) and slowly turn the clutch by hand. Verify the dowel moves up and down, this tells me the piston is moving. If so, remove the valve cover and see if the valves are actually moving when it spins? That will answer a lot before you go buying anything.

If both the piston and valves are moving, rent a compression tester from your local auto parts store (its free) and check compression.

To me, that motor just spins waaaaay too freely for it to be right. But it doesnt cost anything except a few minutes to prove me wrong

If there is noise, it's not usually good. It could be the primary clutch, sometimes the weights inside get loose and wobble around and make metal to metal type noise. You could remove the clutch and check that also.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
adamq72
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Tried what you said and the dowel did not move at all.. I pressed down and felt the piston move.. when I spun the shaft it came back up but didn't move any more..
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

When you did that, did the piston move up and down once per revolution? That's what it's supposed to do, move up and down on it's own. If the piston moves up but not down, then you have a broken connecting rod.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
adamq72
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
When you did that, did the piston move up and down once per revolution? That's what it's supposed to do, move up and down on it's own. If the piston moves up but not down, then you have a broken connecting rod.
Yes, it'll move up but not back down.. is that something I could fix with a youtube video as a guide, or would I be better off taking it to someone?
Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You've got a broken connecting rod. Time to open the motor. You shouldn't be able to move the piston with the dowel rod.

If you're comfortable rebuilding a motor, just get a service manual for specs and clearances. If not, I'd call don plowman and have him rebuild it, or buy a motor from him
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #18
adamq72
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thank you everyone for the help
Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #19
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

G16 engine parts...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148069
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Time for a clone upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha