lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
deallen
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery tipped, loss of fluid, advice/help?

There are quite a few smart and helpful people in this forum and I hope someone can help me.

I drove two plus hours each way to buy six 8V U.S. batteries. They were loaded into the trunk of the car and I did not attempt to get them out to put in our cart until the next day. I was horrified to see that one had tipped over and had leaked significant (1/2?) fluid. There was further disaster getting the ruined mat out and wet cardboard (thankfully absorbing much of the liquid).

My main issue now is what is the best way to fix the present situation with the batteries. I believe that the leaked battery will either need to be replaced or made new again. Is it possible to save this battery? Who can I ask and trust to fix it without ruining the entire set of new batteries? Is this something that I can do myself? Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.
deallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery tipped, loss of fluid, advice/help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deallen View Post
There are quite a few smart and helpful people in this forum and I hope someone can help me.

I drove two plus hours each way to buy six 8V U.S. batteries. They were loaded into the trunk of the car and I did not attempt to get them out to put in our cart until the next day. I was horrified to see that one had tipped over and had leaked significant (1/2?) fluid. There was further disaster getting the ruined mat out and wet cardboard (thankfully absorbing much of the liquid).

My main issue now is what is the best way to fix the present situation with the batteries. I believe that the leaked battery will either need to be replaced or made new again. Is it possible to save this battery? Who can I ask and trust to fix it without ruining the entire set of new batteries? Is this something that I can do myself? Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Call US Battery.

They might be able to ship you some electrolyte with the correct acid content, or at least suggest where to get some.

Don't install, charge or try to use that battery until the electrolyte is replaced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
deallen
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, JohnnieB. I will call tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
deallen
Not Yet Wild

A belated follow-up in case it helps anyone else who made the same blunder I did.
I called the Augusta home office and spoke to Fred, when I asked for the most knowledgeable tech person. Fred was friendly and patient and the short version is that he said I might add pre-mixed battery acid that I might find at a motorcycle shop if the plates had not be exposed for too long. I had not checked because I assumed, (yeah, I know), that having looked at my old batteries and guessing how much liquid appeared to have been spilled, that the plates were exposed. They weren't. He also said I should call the distributor, Royal Battery near Daytona Fl, because they might have some acid and they could call him if they needed assistance. Well, the rep I spoke to, did not seem eager to fixing and expressed confusion? at what I told him, and he determined that I would need to buy a new battery. Again, this is two hours plus each way from my house, but what else could I do. I prepared to make the purchase and at this time checked the acid level, lo and behold, all plates submerged. Fred had told me that battery acid is 37% sulphuric acid and needed to be 1.27 specific gravity, so on to google. You can actually buy it online, but I checked my local auto parts place and they ordered one quart for about $9. sure enough it was 37% sulphuric and 1.265 specific gravity. A little anxious, but prepared with glasses, gloves, and baking soda and water at the ready I topped off each cell to the level of the other batteries and used the entire quart.
Neutralized the spilled acid on the outside of the batteries and installed. Time will tell, I guess, if the lifespan of the pack will be affected. That is my adventure and I hope no one needs this info. Thanks again, JohnnieB
Old 03-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The SG on the automotive electrolyte is a little low (1.265 vs 1.270), so add more electrolyte instead of distilled water when topping off the fluid level in that battery until its SG is the same as the other batteries.

Attached is a SoC chart for US Battery brand batteries, their 100% SoC is a bit higher than other batteries and not all chargers will fully charge them.

If a quart of electrolyte is all that was needed, no much was spilled, they hold about 7.5 quarts.

BTW: K. Fred Wehmeyer is the Senior Vice President - Engineering, you struck gold on your phone call. Too bad the vendor wasn't helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Senior VP of engineering fielding customer calls, that's amazing!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
rib33024

OK now that you have the acid problem figured out. How do you go get 900 dollars worth of new batteries . And on the way home , you lay one on it's side and spill some acid out of it. Curious minds want to know. Thousands of people drive with a open beer every day and they don't spill that.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Augusta has got quite few people at home so they may be shutdown except for a few people.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you neutralize the acid in your car trunk? If you don't that might cause some issues for your trunk. Baking Soda is a good base you can use to neutralize acid, but I don't know how bad your trunk is so that may not be of use.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
deallen
Not Yet Wild

rib33024, since you ask, I guess I will tell you that part as well. But first, in case it is helpful to someone, the total with tax was $722 with my turn-ins.
Anyway, my theory is that when a perfect storm hit on the way home was the culprit for the spill/turn over. I was in the middle lane on 95, going maybe 75-77 or so the car in front of me started slowing down at first slowly and then unbelievably to me, at that time, came to a complete stop. I came to a sudden stop. I fully expected some level of 'bump' from behind as I was right on the bumper in front and a truck was on my bumper in back. I couldn't move and cars were flying by me in the lanes to my right and left. It was then when the stopped car in front of me turned left across the speed lane to get to a breakdown lane there, that I saw that his left front tire was shredded. Poor guy, and I don't know how he got safely over there because I couldn't see much behind me. It was much later, after discovering the spill the next day that I theorized that incident to be the cause, because otherwise I was aware of turns and took them slowly. I had zero thoughts of the batteries in the moment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO