lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Why are folks opposed to regen braking? Downside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A wheel doesn't have to stop to lose traction with the driving surface. The motor may not totally lock the wheel, but there is the possibility it applies enough decelerating force to slow the rotation.
An uneven friction co-efficient from one side to the other (wet leaves under one tire) will allow one tire to stop spinning, or possibly reverse direction while the other tire continues spinning the same as it was. And the motor will not stop spinning during that event.

The same goes for accelerating on a slippery surface. One wheel with traction, one wheel without traction. A vehicle can roll backwards down hill while trying to go forward. The output of the motor is turning forward, but one wheel can be going backwards if the traction loss of the other wheel is great enough.
You guys keep missing the point the Motor brake force is not a "Constant" and the motor shaft would not just stay still while the other wheel turns opposite.

The braking only happens if the wheels are forcing the motor to turn, if the wheel has no traction it cannot force the motor and the cart free wheels with no brake as the Motor is still spinning in the same direction.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 2012 PH precedent with a PQ bandit. Personally I don't like the regen braking. Can I turn it off somehow? I have a stock controller.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #23
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

To each his own, of course, but I don't know how anyone can not like regen braking. You get the same feeling every day in your car or truck. When you take your foot off the accelerator the truck slows because of the compression on the pistons, it is particularly noticeable in a diesel because of the higher compression ratios.

Anyone who has done any serious off-roading will know that when you are going down a steep, possibly slippery, slope the last thing you do is touch the brakes. Instead you put it in low range first or second gear and keep the wheels turning slowly against the engine compression. That way you have control.

The same thing happens in the cart. You can control the amount of deceleration with the Go pedal and only touch the brakes when the cart has come to a stop. This is controlled braking and will stop the spinning out that people are describing. No regen and all brakes is the worst way to go down a hill.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #24
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

I actually like the regen feature and would never disable it.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #25
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I have a 2012 PH precedent with a PQ bandit. Personally I don't like the regen braking. Can I turn it off somehow? I have a stock controller.
I thought Bandits eliminated regen braking? With yours being an Excel model, I'm not certain a speed magnet would work. You may have to go to a dealer and turn it off via controller programming.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #26
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I thought Bandits eliminated regen braking? With yours being an Excel model, I'm not certain a speed magnet would work. You may have to go to a dealer and turn it off via controller programming.
I thought the same thing about the Bandit but I still have it.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #27
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Bringing this back from the dead, . I can't imagine not having it, especially if your cart goes over 20mph. My cart goes about 25mph and the regen slows and even stops the cart at a certain point. All my carts have had regen braking including the ones I've rented before purchasing my own carts so obviously I'm used to it and that's why I prefer it. I drove my neighbors cart last year that had no regen and even though his cart is much slower then mine it felt kinda scary letting off the pedal and the cart just kept rolling. I was on the brakes all the time. Just as others have posted, it's a preference thing. One learns and becomes comfortable with or without it then the other senario is just too out of the norm and feels weird. Regen is a love/hate thing, I don't believe there is an in-between on this one
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can have your cake and eat it too with an Alltrax XCT controller and an FN2 control. The FN2 has 2 controls. One for speed and one for regenerative braking. Both controls have dial knobs that can be adjusted while driving. Both control parameters are set using the free software.
You can greatly decrease stopping distance by turning up the regen as the cart is stopping - plus it is recharging the battery...
I think the reason people have said they do not like regen was the lack of user control. Now you may want to coast for miles and the wife or kids may want more brake control... well now this operation can be adjusted as easily as a radio volume knob.

In fact I think Sergio has a way to activate 100% regen when the brakes a pressed. Perhaps he can explain again how he has set this up. I'm sure more people would be interested in this as cart speeds have increased and standard rear only brakes are well under sized.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #29
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

I've been thinking of ordering the FN2 from you ever since I installed my alltrax that I purchased from you last year. I have made adjustments to the regen braking to my liking but the on the fly adjustments would be great. Not sure why I have been putting it off so long. Really had high hopes for the BT module allowing for adjustments. Maybe down the road in an update
Would love to hear more on what Sergio does to control the regen on brake pedal input just for learning sake. It sounds really interesting.
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The next generation BT modules are available. I stuck one on my Beta build -
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car