lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Main Positive is Hot, Nut welded to the post?

I noticed tonight upon plugging in my charger a glowing spark from the nut on my main positive. I quickly unplugged the charger and the main positive post was hot. No other posts were hot. The nut seems welded to the post as I can’t take it off, feels like the post is going to snap if I apply more pressure.

The only wire connected directly to the post is for my volt meter. Everything else, including the charging positive is connected to a fuse? How is the post getting that hot without the fuse popping first?

I did just wash the batteries today with water and baking soda, but I still can’t figure out why this is happening. I’ll ruin the battery, break the post off if I try to get the nut off. Not sure what to do.

ETA. You can even see the nut is black from getting hot previously. I think it could have caught on fire tonight if I hadn’t happen to see it glowing.

Suggestions? Pic attached showing all the power comes and goes through the fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24F0984C-DEAF-4022-96CE-19DA697637B2.jpg (155.2 KB, 0 views)
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Re: Main Positive is Hot, Nut welded to the post?

The digital volt meter stays on 24-7, but it’s never been an issue for over 2 years now. The post only got hot when I plugged in the charger. Been driving the cart all afternoon with no issues.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I suspect you have a poor connection there somewhere. Clean it up and do away with that bar thing if you can.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

That nut wasn't tight enough, causing a loose connection or there's an internal loose connection in that cell causing some major resistance (heat).

If the nut's welded to the post you may have to drill and tap a new stud in the flat lead area next to that stud.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #5
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
That nut wasn't tight enough, causing a loose connection or there's an internal loose connection in that cell causing some major resistance (heat).

If the nut's welded to the post you may have to drill and tap a new stud in the flat lead area next to that stud.
I constantly torque the nuts, clean with baking soda, and spray with the red anti corrosive spray. That one nut is seized solid and getting hot. Still don’t understand how that much heat can happen when the charging wire is coming through a fuse, and not blowing the fuse?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I suspect you have a poor connection there somewhere. Clean it up and do away with that bar thing if you can.
That bar thing is the main fuse.......how is it not blowing when the main positive is getting that hot?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #7
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... Clean it up and do away with that bar thing if you can.
That "bar thing" looks like the main fuse that Alltrax ships with their controllers and is required according to the XCT IQ Wiring Diagram.
I didn't like idea of mounting it on the battery post, mostly because it looks like it would get in the way, so I mounted it on the frame rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse, 400A #2.jpg (102.8 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #8
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
That "bar thing" looks like the main fuse that Alltrax ships with their controllers and is required according to the XCT IQ Wiring Diagram.
I didn't like idea of mounting it on the battery post, mostly because it looks like it would get in the way, so I mounted it on the frame rail.
It is the main fuse for my Alltrax controller. But after looking at it again just now, I believe NCPW is onto my issue. The nut is welded to the post, but it’s not tight anymore. I pulled the fuse with all the connections to it off by hand. I still can’t budge the nut on on the post. I guess I’ll re-tap it, some help or a video would be helpful.....And I think that main fuse can be moved to another location, the controller. I’ll have to get with Scotty B on that.

Thanks NCPW, obviously that’s the issue.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Well it's not clean looking and you have what looks like a small connection to something under your main connection.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #10
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Well it's not clean looking and you have what looks like a small connection to something under your main connection.
That small connection is simply the voltmeter wire. Despite the dirty looking batteries the connections are clean I promise.

With that said, instead of tapping the battery, would something like this work to securely reconnect the system?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 408C85D3-507C-4E1F-A1B5-F5FE5BB2CC83.jpg (27.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car