lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #21
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Re: Main Positive is Hot, Nut welded to the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
It's not metal.

It's the CC OEM old school, flat battery hold downs. It's located between 2 adjacent batteries doing its job. The picture just looks like it's bolted into a battery.

As for fixing the lug; drill and tap following the link movin-on posted above. Do Not use the auto battery cable you linked, it will not fix your problem, only compound it. Also, do not use auto 12V battery cables for your battery connections. The cable stand count is very low compared to high quality welding cable and will cause resistance issues. i.e. heat buildup causing other issues down the line. (Sorry to break that to you _ogre)
You nailed the issue from the get go. The nut welded to the post because the fuse and volt meter wire were not tight. I guess it looses up. I appreciate everyone’s help here, even you Mooncarter. The battery hold downs are fine, as they were like that stock. I put a Marine terminal extension on it just for a test, and tightened everything. No more heat, and it’s charging fine right now. When I get more time I think I’ll move the fuse to B- on the controller. But I have it figured out now.

Thanks again guys.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #22
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Also, do not use auto 12V battery cables for your battery connections. The cable stand count is very low compared to high quality welding cable and will cause resistance issues. i.e. heat buildup causing other issues down the line.
This caught my eye. So if I was going to go to Napa and buy 2 gauge battery cable that would not be ideal? I did not realize this and would have done so

What is the strand count difference and where would you get welding cable?
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #23
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-WC0180-...9617186&sr=8-3

Here you go
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
This caught my eye. So if I was going to go to Napa and buy 2 gauge battery cable that would not be ideal? I did not realize this and would have done so

Don't know the count difference but this is a good article with a good picture. Enjoy!
http://engineeringproductsinfo.com/2...battery-cable/
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
You nailed the issue from the get go. The nut welded to the post because the fuse and volt meter wire were not tight. I guess it looses up. I appreciate everyone’s help here, even you Mooncarter. The battery hold downs are fine, as they were like that stock. I put a Marine terminal extension on it just for a test, and tightened everything. No more heat, and it’s charging fine right now. When I get more time I think I’ll move the fuse to B- on the controller. But I have it figured out now.

Thanks again guys.
Glad you got it worked out

Like MC suggested, make sure you change the stacking order of you cables whether it's on the battery post, solenoid or controller. The higher amperage flowing cable always goes first.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #26
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Glad you got it worked out

Like MC suggested, make sure you change the stacking order of you cables whether it's on the battery post, solenoid or controller. The higher amperage flowing cable always goes first.
I may do that, but no cables actually got hot, as they were on the other side of the fuse....

Thanks again guys. Just checked it again, all posts and cables are cool to the touch and it’s about fully charged.

Seeing that glowing last night had me frazzled!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #27
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:

Yea you always want the high strand cable as opposed to the stiff automotive cable. I built mine with 2 gauge 600 strand welding cable. High strand welding cable is what you want on your cart.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #28
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks all for your posts on the welding cable; I learned something new again today!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #29
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... So if I was going to go to Napa and buy 2 gauge battery cable that would not be ideal? .... What is the strand count difference and where would you get welding cable?
Welding cable is a good upgrade over regular battery cable.
Another step up would be marine grade battery cable - tinned wires, a few more strands, better insulation: https://www.amazon.com/EWCS-Approved...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #30
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have so much to learn!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car