lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #31
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2005 club car IQ 48v regent

the resister was really burnt, actually it was the plastic tube that melted. It has a red ring a a brown ring a black ring and a gold ring on a green body. with wires comming out each end.
Is it possible that the selonoid sticking and burning up?
mudcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #32
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcat1 View Post
the resister was really burnt, actually it was the plastic tube that melted. It has a red ring a a brown ring a black ring and a gold ring on a green body. with wires comming out each end.
Is it possible that the selonoid sticking and burning up?
Yes. If the solenoid sticks or does not make full contact, the current will try to flow through anyway that it can. Either through the solenoid contacts (which is the preferred route) but if there’s a “traffic jam” due to worn contacts, it will try and flow through the precharge resistor. Not very well, obviously.

When you energize a high current device, electricity will arc. This will over time burn/pit/melt contacts. The purpose of the resistor is to always maintain voltage between the large contacts in the solenoid. This prevents that arc from occurring.

I would try and do a voltage drop test between the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. Do this

Put the rear end up on jack stands.
Turn the key on
Put your negative (black) probe lead on one terminal. Doesn’t matter which one.
Pot your positive probe lead on the other
Press the gas pedal. You should hear the solenoid click. Tell me what the voltage reading is.

Ideally it should be zero, or very close to it. 0.5 volts would be very high, but acceptable given your meter woes. Anything over 0.5 volts is red flag

For reference, with a good quality meter the voltage drop should be kept to around 0.01 volts
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #33
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

When i pulled the solenoid off one of the small post broke off, it was coroaded and rusty in side the clip. I have ordered a new one from amazon. Thanks. when i get it i'll let you know on the 3rd of march.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #34
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good luck with that...

I personally would only recommend an OEM solenoid. Call David hicks from revolution golf cars. Or get a HD solenoid from David or scottyb.

I’ve never had good luck with the aftermarket ones and actually almost had an ezgo catch fire because of an aftermarket solenoid once. It will probably work for a test to verify it’s bad, but I wouldn’t recommend leaving it in the cart. I’ll never buy an aftermarket solenoid again.

Regardless, make sure to have the resistor in place. And the diode on the little terminals. The resistor protects the solenoid from arcing inside. The diode will help protect your controller.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #35
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

there was no dioed on the small clips. the clips had the push on wires. Should i solder the diode to the clips? what kind of dioed should i buy?
I'm canceling the solenoid order.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #36
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcat1 View Post
there was no dioed on the small clips. the clips had the push on wires. Should i solder the diode to the clips? what kind of dioed should i buy?
I'm canceling the solenoid order.
If you want an oem solenoid, call David www.revolutiongolfcars.com and tell him you need the diode and resistor. Hell help

If you want an upgraded solenoid, scottyb or David could both help you. Just make sure to mention you need new resistor and diode.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #37
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

Does the resister go on the top of the post or under the big + and - post?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #38
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

solenoid is in , battery pack 52.3, turn ed on key ,run reverse....no buzzer. and pushed go peddle....no solenoid click
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would try and do a voltage drop test between the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. Do this

Put the rear end up on jack stands.done
Turn the key on done
Put your negative (black) probe lead on one terminal. Doesn’t matter which one.
Pot your positive probe lead on the other52.2
Press the gas pedal. You should hear the solenoid click. Tell me what the voltage reading is. solinoid did not click

Ideally it should be zero, or very close to it. 0.5 volts would be very high, but acceptable given your meter woes. Anything over 0.5 volts is red flag
Old 03-06-2021, 03:18 AM   #39
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What readings do you have at the small terminals of the solenoid?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #40
mudcat1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What readings do you have at the small terminals of the solenoid?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car