lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Marathon engine swap

I have a '89 Marathon, the motor is hurt as purchased, looks from the other threads that to make the swap to a vanguard that a 4 stroke axle is needed for reverse. How many other problems would make this different than the '94 and newer swap kit that many companies offer? Would it be possible to purchase a kit and make the adjustments as needed and still benefit from the kit, our just start from scratch due to the older model? Also the cart has a 4" lift, will the mounts and possibly the lift and susp. be different with a newer style rear swap, needing a additional new lift kit for the newer axle? Thx!
Lafnbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon engine swap

I would scrap the project and start over with a currently produced model cart. You would be better off just rebuilding the 2 stroke (if everything is still there) and using / selling the Marathon

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thats kind of my thought now, we drag race and the soul purpose for the cart is to pull the race car back to the pits, we have a atv but thought about 2 options for the pull back if something ever happened to one or the other. Out of curriosity, is this swap just a complete pain in the ars due to the amount of custom parts that need to be hand built, would the frame need to be lengthened vs a newer model?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafnbowtie View Post
Thats kind of my thought now, we drag race and the soul purpose for the cart is to pull the race car back to the pits, we have a atv but thought about 2 options for the pull back if something ever happened to one or the other. Out of curriosity, is this swap just a complete pain in the ars due to the amount of custom parts that need to be hand built, would the frame need to be lengthened vs a newer model?
the 4cycle marathon swing arm /axle will bolt right in.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there a way to tell the difference in the axles from plain sight, or is there a axle number?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Is there a way to tell the difference in the axles from plain sight, or is there a axle number?
this is for the 94 and up, but they are the same minis tube brackets.

pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thx for the pix! Sounds like the 1994 is a bolt in for the marathon and the 1995 to 2001 would work if you cut the brackets off and weld to the '95 and newer housing? To put these housings in reverse is there a lever or a cable the puts it in forward and/or reverse? What do these rear diffs bring money wise?Thx for the help.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, off and running like a hurd of turtles, um.... well, got the motor out anyway! The cart world is new for me, trying to learn as much as possible, looks like alot more to be learned about my cart everyday, project "step child". Pretty good name for a pre-'94 ezee cart and a 23 van swap in my opinion, maybe luck will workout with the cart and we will be pullin our drag car next spring. Here is some pix of the start

The ride home, 2 flats on our car trailer, figures the day I need it..

Starting the motor removal

30 psi compression

20 years of grime

Talked to Tom today at CPP, super good people, good advice and very helpful! That group knows there way around a cart forsure, learned alot! When the ball gets rolling, we will have a steady stream of parts from that group, thx for the help!!

Here is the 'ol heap that the new vanny sled has to pull around the pits, do you thing 23 hp is enough?
Found a '94+ rear axle, looks like I will have to move the mount from mine to the new one though.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Here is the 'ol heap that the new vanny sled has to pull around the pits, do you thing 23 hp is enough?
Found a '94+ rear axle, looks like I will have to move the mount from mine to the new one though.
Yep, Tom is a super great guy. Hard to find folk like that these days.

If my primary use for the cart was to pull or push the race car around I would leave the stock 12 whatever to 1 gears in it and the 23 will be plenty. If you start swapping to lower ratio gears you'll lose some low end torque. Theres also some driven clutch work you can have done to gain some more low end. Tom may have told you about all that though.

Depending on the F/R brackets on the axle there will be 1 or 2 cables to switch from F to R. Download a newer TXT service parts manual and you'll see how thats set up as well as any part numbers you may need.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Lafnbowtie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Found another axle assembly/ 4 stroke -'94, very complete, engine craddle, F/R switch and cables, I believe I was very lucky finding these items.
Alot of very knowlegable people out there if you stop a listen, I am very lucky to have contacted them, be it a business or private sale, I never forget and will be sure to spend my green with them.
But as a side note, there are just as many stuffed shirts, who are just to high and mighty to give you the time of day to you with one word replys. I plan on throughing some coin at my cart, and have so during my first 2 weeks of the purchase, word travels....economy is in the shitter, and more carts to be built as three of my close race friends plan other big block builds.

Sorry for the rant, but wow, I thought heads up racing had some issue, LoL!!

Anywho...., try to post up somemore pixs of project step child...err/umm, Marathon, might have found a quad for cheap as well, good front axle stuff.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!