lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
ETX
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Fender Flares arrived - zero nada nothing in way of installation instructions

Ordered Fender Flares for my '93 DS from Jason's and they arrived promptly and correct, but there are no instructions. What size hole do you drill? Does anyone have pictures of where exactly on the fenders are they installed. I took them out and they fit. Not too happy with the cutout area around the stock side plates but it will work. They have the push in plastic attachment fasteners. I sent Jason's an email asking for them, but thought I'd get help from everywhere possible. Thanks.
ETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fender Flares arrived - zero nada nothing in way of installation instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETX View Post
Ordered Fender Flares for my '93 DS from Jason's and they arrived promptly and correct, but there are no instructions. What size hole do you drill? Does anyone have pictures of where exactly on the fenders are they installed. I took them out and they fit. Not too happy with the cutout area around the stock side plates but it will work. They have the push in plastic attachment fasteners. I sent Jason's an email asking for them, but thought I'd get help from everywhere possible. Thanks.
My fender flares didn't come with anything. Not even the push fasteners!
I had to figure out everything and procure fasteners. I guess I got what I paid for. They were very inexpensive flares on eBay.
On the plus side, the flares themselves were of high quality and heavy guage plastic.

Just be careful to test place them until you are happy and then drill and attach one fastener at a time starting from the most position sensitive end to the other being careful to place the remainder where you want it before drilling the next hole.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Default Re: Fender Flares arrived - zero nada nothing in way of installation instructions

You are gonna half to just hold them up there and position them where you want, and start drilling. Size of hole will depend on how big the push plugs are, size it a little smaller than the serrations on the plugs.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
ETX
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks lgbarne. Good to see a BR person here. Grew up in BR myself. Yes I have already figured out that there will be a lot of test fitting before installation. My biggest concern is drilling the right size hole for the push fasteners. Just a little uneasy about drilling holes in my cart....
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks lgbarne. Good to see a BR person here. Grew up in BR myself. Yes I have already figured out that there will be a lot of test fitting before installation. My biggest concern is drilling the right size hole for the push fasteners. Just a little uneasy about drilling holes in my cart....
It's like drilling a hole for a thread . . hole size is based on the minor diameter of the screw, ie, a 1/4" (.250) coarse thread needs a hole size of about .204 . . . your push fastener will have a minor diameter at the base of the "flares", ie, the outer diameter of the push pin may be, for example, 5/16" but the minor diameter may be 1/4", so you would drill a clearance hole for 1/4", but smaller than the 5/16" which could be 9/32" . . big enough for minor diameter and small enough for "flares" to open up and grab on back side of hole . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would put the push pins in a drawer and go buy some 1/4 20 S/S button head bolts with nylock nuts and be done with it.
Fastnal,Tractor supply, lowes and so on, just my 2 cents.

Wish you luck, LURCH!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So, I suspect you are one of the many Houston area emmigrants
I go there pretty often with work as well.

OK, So I agree with Steve on how to drill the holes. I also agree with Lurch in that I also went and bought some quality 1/4" bolts (flat & wide phillips heads) and nylon lock nuts to fasten mine. There are plusses and minus to using bolts. The plus is the fenders won't work there way loose. The minus is if you plan on plowing through shrubbery and sapplings, you may want the flares to be able to pop off. I was not planning on blazing new trails with mine, so I opted for the more permanent attachment. Additionally, you might want to paint the bolt heads black prior to installing to make them blend into the flares.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
ETX
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well Friday night I fit the fender flares and after some deliberation (beer) I was starting to crawfish about drilling holes to mount them. Saturday after some more deliberation (beer) and later some more deliberation (whiskey). I just could not bring myself to drill holes in the "Awesome Cart". This is one modification to the cart that you cannot change once you drill the holes. So I made the decision not to do it. If I want to go muddin', I'll do it in the "Awesome Carts" Big Brother, the Polaris Crew "Green Thunder"! (Kids named them) So guesss what's "fer sail"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc123.jpg (228.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree that drilling that first hole was hard. I wasn't even wanting to put flares on it! But after a couple weekends running around the lease throwing mud everywhere (all over the cart, the passengers, the hunting gear) I realized not having them was not an option.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
ETX
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

lgbarne....I understand....If you look at the picture ..I have a choice as to which vehicle goes to the lease if it's muddy......makes that decision easy. I still like to throw mud on the wife's family when I take them out on it.

Maybe its just me but, I think the body style of the older CC's gives them kind of a "hot rod" look...when lifted with the tires stickin' out...or maybe I'm just a coona$$ redneck and can't help but like it.

Coming to BR to see kin and gonna reduce the crawdad population next week!

Geuax Tigers...Geaux Saints...Geaux Dawgs (La. Tech)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car