lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 1981 36 volt only one speed, SLOW

Hey guys,
I’ve got an 81 36 volt Club Car that just stopped running in high speed. I hear all 5 solenoids clicking but car moves like only first one engaged.

Just starting to troubleshoot with wiring diagrams from form but I’ve got a quick question. Why would the cart barely move, pedal completely depressed, in forward, but take off like crazy when I shift to reverse and floor it?

Is there a troubleshooting progression posted somewhere on the forums (what voltage should I have at a particular place with key on, pedal depresed, etc.)?

Thanks so much
TROPHYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1981 36 volt only one speed, SLOW

if all 5 solenoids are clicking that means the micr switches are ok so if it fact the solenoids are good the only place left is the motor.................1st click cart should not move 2nd click is 1st speed 3rd is 2nd speed up to 4th speed.....have you jacked it up and watched tires spinning as each solenoid is activating? if not try that ...........also keep in mind even a clicking solenoid can be bad but its apparant that the 1st 2 are good and the last one is good ( reverse ) its the 3 and 4 that are an issue.......starting from the left side drivers side and running to passinger side is master....1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th .......the master is the one that dosn,t have a resistor coil mounted to it and also check all the coils make sure none broke or rotted away where they bolt down check all that real good issue has to be in there somewhere.....also the buss bar that runs across them make sure thats all intact.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

SHADOWMAN>>>>Thanks for the quick reply. OK— Got the batteries charging up. Anybody know what the charging rate (amps and volts) should be and at what point does the charger cut off?
I’ve jacked it up and listened while I pressed the accelerator. Here is what I get:
1st click> Nothing
2nd click> Tires take off, hard to tell sitting in the shop jacked up but, seems to me that they are going pretty darn fast.
3rd click> Tires run a bit faster
4th click> Not much difference

Buss bar is good as is all the coils. I’ve made up a couple of new battery cables as 2 were in pretty sad shape. Wonder if the batteries have just not been getting enough charge and finally just dropped to a level that would not push the car. Still I have to wonder why it ran so well in reverse….hmmm

Still checking. Anybody with thoughts, and/or suggestions, lay it out there.

Thanks Again
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

sounds like you might have 1 bad solenoid......the 4th one from the left........leave the charger on until it shuts off it will when batteries are fully charged or at 16 hours whatever comes 1st.........if charger runs 16 hours and shuts off unplug it and start over let it charge.......you can,t charge these batteries 6 or 7 hours and think thats enough its not......once your charger has shut off on its own let the cart sit overnight and then check each battery with a voltage meter...........write voltage down.....than check all cells with a hydrometer and write #,s down........and lasrly load test the batteries......you just might be dealing with a pack of semi charged batteries or a bad battery or a set going bad......do you know how old they are? and brand, dates should be stamped into lead at battery post will be a letter and # like D-11 which would be april 2011...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Shadowman. The batts are Stowaway. not sure how old they are. I'm headed over to the shop to work on it now. I'll check voltage and specific gravity then put the carbon pile on them. I'm leaning towards a bad battery or two. More to come.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car