lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Has anyone repaired or replaced the floorboard?

My floorboard sheet metal is pretty rusty and last night I noticed a couple of cracks around the gas pedal assembly. I thought about trying to weld on some additional sheet metal underneath to strengthen it, but I think it's too far gone.

Now I'm thinking about getting a quarter sheet of 0.125" aluminum diamond plate and making a new floorboard from that. I would need to find a machine shop to roll the edges for me, but I think it would be a pretty easy project.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Has anyone repaired or replaced the floorboard?

I repaired sections of my Drivers Side with mild steel sheet of same or similar gauge to the original.
It worked good.
Cut out the rusty stuff and piece in new stuff as opposed to patching over or under the rusted section.
Good luck.
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I did mine too. I used a grinder to get all of the old metal off the frame, welded new stuff on a rhyno-lined it. I put a rubber mat over top of it so I wasn't too worried about the welds and such being perfectly neat and clean. Worked out great.

I thought about using aluminum but I can't weld that and I didn't want to screw into the frame.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I did mine too. I used a grinder to get all of the old metal off the frame, welded new stuff on a rhyno-lined it. I put a rubber mat over top of it so I wasn't too worried about the welds and such being perfectly neat and clean. Worked out great.

I thought about using aluminum but I can't weld that and I didn't want to screw into the frame.
Is the stock floorboard welded to the frame? I haven't even looked yet as to how it's mounted...
Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

On my 85s the floors are welded on. I would assume the earlier ones are as well but I cant say for sure.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

From the Parts Manual
Attached Images
File Type: png Floor.png (309.1 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbaynham View Post
From the Parts Manual
Thanks! I keep forgetting to look in my parts manual.

According to that, it looks like it's a 2-piece design and bolts to the frame. That would make it much easier for me to fabricate a new floorboard from aluminum diamond plate. It will still be tough rolling the edges but I think I can do it...
Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
AKAMick
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just got through repairing my floor, they are held on my 77 by a number of Phillips head screws and nuts on the floor braces, Oxy Actl torched them to red then they broke free and unscrewed, the bumper has a big bolts through the pans that need removing, torch that to red and it will come free, side grinder with cup brush the scale off pans, then cut patches underside of pans, MIG weld the holes up and cracks, grind the welds to suit, sand blast, Marine epoxy painted them up, bolted back in, undercoated them, underside, topside bed liner paint, good as new, rock solid
AKAMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

it bolts together from 2 pieces of metal. 2 bolts on the front bumper 2 bolts midway back 6-8 at the back then a bunch of small bolts i am going to do it on my next build later the problem is all the little bolts that they install the fiberglass ti the floor board with fun ashes to ashes and dust to dust when you work on these carts you play with rust. my friend is a cut off tool.
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
AKAMick
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
Just got through repairing my floor, they are held on my 77 by a number of Phillips head screws and nuts on the floor braces, Oxy Actl torched them to red then they broke free and unscrewed, the bumper has a big bolts through the pans that need removing, torch that to red and it will come free, side grinder with cup brush the scale off pans, then cut patches underside of pans, MIG weld the holes up and cracks, grind the welds to suit, sand blast, Marine epoxy painted them up, bolted back in, undercoated them, underside, topside bed liner paint, good as new, rock solid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161008_16_48_12_Pro[1].jpg (343.2 KB, 0 views)
AKAMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson