lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 idle mod

Hey everyone, I have a Gas 93 G9 that I'm fixing up and I would like to do a idle modification to it. If anyone has done this on their G9 and can shine some info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a key start ignition already.
The G9 seems to run the starter/generator any time the gas pedal is pressed ( not sure if it actually gets the power cut once the engine is started. Also I would need to figure out the clutch because it engages at low rpm. Basically while starting it will tend to grab and start moving the cart.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lancejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 idle mod

Step one, return the key switch, won't be needed. Step two, jumper (connect both wires together) the pedal switch at base of gas pedal, this will allow it to run whenever key is on. Step 3, adjust carb butterfly to allow it to idle just above "starter cranking speed". As far as the clutch goes, your options are limited if you don't buy a whole new clutch (comet duster clutch would be sweet if "new" is in the budget). This next suggestion leads to a good time to service/rebuild the existing clutch (since the weights are probably pretty worn out anyway). The clutch has 3 weights that "fly out" as rpms increase, to reduce their action at lower engine rpms, you could drill small holes that reduce their weight. Less weight would reduce their action at lower rpms. You would need to do this incrementally, little by little, to get it "just right", and not make them too light. A clutch remover bolt should be on the shopping list if you think you are up to this task.

I actually recommend against the whole "it has to idle" idea for a few reasons. Excessive starter/generator wear, especially with the cheap aftermarket brushes (the good brushes are expensive, a starter/generator is real expensive). Increased fuel consumption. possible engine heat issues due to low airflow at low rpms. Carb that is not designed with a "idle circuit". Poor charging system performance at low rpms are a few reasons.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Wow, thank you cgtech for all that information. I currently have it setup with the key switch and the pedal wired jumped. I just didn't like how the starter/generator runs all the time. All that info makes sense. I didn't think about the carburetor not being designed to idle. I might be able to find a after market carb for a 8hp that can work. I just never liked messing with the foot pedal on engagement for the starter as well as when your driving and you let off the gas, if the pedal is still floating it will backfire because ignition shut off and gas keeps flowing. I'll have to figure out something with the starter/gen to make it start then turn off. Possibly a diode inline with the charge/start line and tap in a starting switch with a relay before the diode to acknowledge the start until engine is running then release the button and the current will only travel towards the batt. Just thoughts.... I'm not to familiar with generators.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

As far as that last part goes, I'm not sure what you are talking about. The ignition system is active whenever the pedal switch is on (it's always on now that it's jumpered and key is on).
Old 05-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
As far as that last part goes, I'm not sure what you are talking about. The ignition system is active whenever the pedal switch is on (it's always on now that it's jumpered and key is on).
Ya being that its "Currently jumped" I have no issues. Before with the pedal button active, there is a gap on the accelerator pedal before it trips the ignition and starter. That is what lead me to have backfiring when slowing down on corners then accelerating again.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I got it... With the carb adjusted improperly (to idle) it will backfire on command with the pedal switch Not jumped.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I got it... With the carb adjusted improperly (to idle) it will backfire on command with the pedal switch Not jumped.
Exactly [emoji846]

Old 05-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Got it to start and idle pretty decent and also got the starter to only run when my start button is pressed. Then it's always off until I start it again [emoji16]

Old 05-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The gen only takes power to run at rpm it is supposed to, which is below idle speed/rpm. Above that it does not take power even though its turning. The VR allows power through the charge windings in the gen and makes it charge when needed, otherwise it will not.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The gen only takes power to run at rpm it is supposed to, which is below idle speed/rpm. Above that it does not take power even though its turning. The VR allows power through the charge windings in the gen and makes it charge when needed, otherwise it will not.
Interesting, thanks for that info sho305. Would i have to have the pedal switch jumped vs a button switch in between the starting relay and ignition to allow the gen to operate for charging?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha