lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
tuckercart
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 EZGO Marathon

Hey Everyone,

Looking for a easy/turnkey lithium battery replacement.

1990 EZGO Marathon
--New Motor—DD 170-013-0001
--New Controller—Alltrax SR48500

Anything out there that would suit me?

Thanks
tuckercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
tuckercart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 EZGO Marathon

Bump!!
Looking at the 48v 105ah B Bundle from Eco Battery.

I can't much info about converting older carts.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

These drop in battery packs are pretty darned cool. Your controller and motor can handle 48v but what about your solenoid. Did you put in a 48V compatible solenoid when you upgraded the controller? If the solenoid is already 48v compatible then just rip out the lithium and plop in the Eco Battery. Strap or bolt it in well and you're off to the races.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
tuckercart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks bronsonj, I did upgrade the solenoid as well.
Just nervous about dropping money on something that may not work.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That pack says it'll handle 300 amps for 30 seconds so that's pretty darn good.

An alternative is to go lead acid for one more round. They'll last another 4 to 5 years and by then the next gen of lithium will be out and prices will be a lot cheaper. I get it that $2,600 is a LOT to drop on a cart... That's why I built my own pack, I have about $1,800 in mine. Still a lot of coin. I'm hoping that by the time mine dies there will be drop in packs that are much cheaper. Every year capacity increases, costs decrease. If the solid state lithium stuff ever arrives it'll leave the rest of these current lithium packs in the dust.

--- edit ---

Just for your reference, even though my cart is completely different than your cart consider this. When I had my throttle map set more aggressively (more jerky) with my current lithium pack and my Alltrax controller that will pass 360 amps max I was able to pull wheelies at 304 amps... I've since tamed the throttle map so it's a lot less jerky and I no longer get wheelies nor do I see draws of 300+ amps. And the 304 amp draw was for about a third of a second before the amps started to decrease.

Your cart is completely different than mine so it's an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is the same. 300 amps for 30 seconds is a tremendous amount of power. Still expensive, but also incredible when you consider you'll reduce the weight of your cart by 3 to 4 hundred pounds...

Lots of people are waiting for the next gen of lithium though and for good reason. All the auto manufacturers are going electric so there's a flood of cash in battery research. Lots of good things to come for sure so waiting is not necessarily a bad idea...

Just like solar. I get a lot of people asking why I don't want to do solar and ignoring the hurricane aspect of where I live I tell them that in 7 to 10 years people will look back and be gobsmacked at how much we spent on solar for the % efficiency we received from it. Every year tech marches forward and I think solar is on the cusp of something good in a few years. So I wait.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Note battery wise the motor consumes amperage. It doesn't care if that amperage is contained in lead acid or Lithium or Cadium or cowshit. All that matters is that the amount needed is available when it is called for. In my experience 300 amps is all that is needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:29 PM   #7
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckercart View Post
Hey Everyone,

Looking for a easy/turnkey lithium battery replacement.

1990 EZGO Marathon
--New Motor—DD 170-013-0001
--New Controller—Alltrax SR48500

Anything out there that would suit me?

Thanks
I just purchased an 88 Marathon for 940 delivered to my door. Got it today and purchased Big Battery Lithium and an AC kit which includes a modified TXT harness and solenoid.

Did you have to change the throttle at all for lithium?
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990, ezgo, lithium, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO