lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
ezgolimo98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 stroke HEI Conversion

i thought i read use a ignitor out of a chevy hei distributor and a coil pack off a 3800 engine? I have a rev limiter on mine it cuts out around 4000 rpm i have the governer max out !!
ezgolimo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #42
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Again, If you have a rev limiter on your cart, Just where is it? are you referring to the mechanical adjustment on top of the differential? That is not a REV limiter. It is a governor. A REV limiter is an electrical device and there has never been on on an EZ-GO<<<<
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you remove the drive belt, the only theoretical limit to the RPM'S the engine will reach is the constraint of the air flow through the carb. (Ever heard of restrict or plate in NASCAR?) The mechanical linkage is the part that slows the engine down. ALSO< YOU WILL DESTROY THE ENGINE IN SHORT ORDER THEN OVER REVVING THE ENGINE. The reason for the HEI and coil change is to avoid the $$$$ involved with the original ignition system. It has NOTHING to do with increased speed. If you want to go faster than hell, get a 4 wheeler such as a Polaris. Their suspension, gearing and higher HP engines give them speed. IE would you ride a bicycle being towed at 90 MPH? Once most golf carts cross 25 MPH they become dangerous. Even more so, if people just hop them up, without knowing what they are doing. I get to repair that scenario on a regular basis. Got one in the shop now with broken connecting rod, big hole in case, bent crank, and piston that is beat to hell. Go as fast as you can, us service people love you.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonduranth View Post
Again, If you have a rev limiter on your cart, Just where is it? are you referring to the mechanical adjustment on top of the differential? That is not a REV limiter. It is a governor. A REV limiter is an electrical device and there has never been on on an EZ-GO<<<<
Yes there is. Its built into the ignition box. There was 1 or 2 years(91-92 ish) that didnt have it but most ezgo do have a digital rev limiter. Im not talking about the governor mounted on the rear diff either, I'm talking about a rev limiter built into the ignition module/ignitor on ezgo 295 4 stroke carts.....
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #45
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I am still having trouble with this conversion on my 04 295cc ez-go. My problem is a weak spark. It appears the plug wires are made into the original coil and can't be replaced. It will run with the HEI installed but the spark still appears weak.When I install the GM coil, it runs but skips. I have tried reversing the wires to the coil and I still get the skip. Do I have the wrong coil? It there a way to check the GM coil. It is a universal DR39.
richard3529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #46
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lets go back to the beginning. I don't care what 4 cycle EZ_GO you have, there is no REV limiter in the Ignitor assembly !!!! the module has wiring inside that converts the open sensed by the hall effect unit behind the flywheel (pulsar). It has a 12 volt input, ground, and two wires from the hall-effect.Since current leads voltage in a capacitive circuit, the coil is able to sense this current that has been cleaned up to resemble a spike. The original 2pg and 3pg engines were designed to work at a top RPM of 2250.

An electronic ignition system fires both spark plugs simultaneously which eliminates the need for a distributor. The pistons are aligned together which means that they both are at TDC (Top Dead Center) and BDC (Bottom Dead Center) at the same time. Just 180 degrees out of phase in the 4 cycle scheme of things

Testing Pulsar
Unplug the connector leading into the engine. Place the (-) probe from the DVOM (set to the ohms scale) on the red/white wire from the pulser coil, and the (+) probe on
the black wire also from the pulser coil. A reading of 433.5 - 586.5 Ω should be observed. If the measurement obtained is out of this range or if a reading of no continuity is displayed, replace the pulser coil. Make certain that the air gap is correct. Set with a .032” feeler gauge. There is no timing adjustment for this part.

Now more education. The D39 or DP39 is NOT a coil. Just because it has 2 connectors on top that look like connector for plug wires, it is not a coil. It is a pulse shaper (ingitor), the pulsar is on top of the flywheel housing. In a car, the D39 is between the pulsar and the COILS. Lift the hood on a 2004 or 2005 pontiac and you will find the unit BEFORE the coils.

My suggestion is to use the original coil with the new HEI. There are dual output coils out there, but they are very expensive. Dynatek makes one for racing Harleys $150. Drag Specialities has one for $50.

ALSO: Always use a plug or plug tester to check spark. Using a screwdriver that may touch the ground will DESTROY a HEI or an EZ-GO ignitor !!!!

Last edited by bonduranth; 02-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #47
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for this info bonduranth. It is a rainy day here so I will check the Pulsar coil today and the air gap. Is there anyway to removed the plug wires from the coil? Looks like there may be epoxy at the coil ends. I have the cart stripped down at the present. Can I get to the point of checking the air gap by just removing the engine fan cover?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #48
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonduranth View Post
Lets go back to the beginning. I don't care what 4 cycle EZ_GO you have, there is no REV limiter in the Ignitor assembly !!!!
Yes there is. Do a search before you insert your foot too far into your mouth. Sucks to be wrong....but it happens to the best of us sometimes.

91 and early 92 didn't but all others have it built into the ignitor assembly......example part number 27746-G01:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...v-limiter.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ter-quick.html Ezgo tech/dealer seems to think so....hmmm

HEY, what do ya know...they made a kit to remove the rev limiter. (I say "made" because Fast Fred past away, who by the way made Supercharger kits and other things for the 295's. He knew more about them than most anyone here.) http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...ter-275-a.html
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #49
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Checked the pulsar coil gap and .040" would go. I adjusted down to .032". Can't drive the cart as is but it did seam to crank and idle better. The spark also seems to be better. Is there any auto coil that I can use to replaced the stock coil so I will be able to install new plug wires. I hate to spend $100 for a coil.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #50
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good to see this thread back on track, Roady89!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO