lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #181
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

Just reuse the bolts. I'd strongly suggest removing the motor first but it can be done either way. I use some 1" straps around the motor to lift it out and lower it back in. It's a very straight forward process to rebuild the rear end. I'm sure you'll have no problem doing it.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #182
Mark06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the confidence. I tend to contemplate these kinds of projects for a long time before I dive in and that seems to help.

I actually installed the motor that's in there now but that was 8 years ago and my main memories of it are that I had a lift available (which I don't have now) and that it was a pita. I assume it went in from underneath and the some of the bolts are difficult to reach with the axle installed in the vehicle and that's why I was thinking that if the axle is out, it's easier to install and reinstall the motor there.

I guess I'll get it up on the jack-stands and see how it goes.

The other issue I'm running into is finding the bearings and the rest of the parts. I've found the gears and the O-rings but the description on some of the websites for the other parts like bearings and seals are a bit confusing.

I'd like to order the rebuild parts as a kit but it looks like I'm going to have to source all of them individually. maybe it would be better to disassemble it first and then see what I really need.
Mark06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #183
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06 View Post
Thanks for the confidence. I tend to contemplate these kinds of projects for a long time before I dive in and that seems to help.

I actually installed the motor that's in there now but that was 8 years ago and my main memories of it are that I had a lift available (which I don't have now) and that it was a pita. I assume it went in from underneath and the some of the bolts are difficult to reach with the axle installed in the vehicle and that's why I was thinking that if the axle is out, it's easier to install and reinstall the motor there.

I guess I'll get it up on the jack-stands and see how it goes.

The other issue I'm running into is finding the bearings and the rest of the parts. I've found the gears and the O-rings but the description on some of the websites for the other parts like bearings and seals are a bit confusing.

I'd like to order the rebuild parts as a kit but it looks like I'm going to have to source all of them individually. maybe it would be better to disassemble it first and then see what I really need.
I find it much easier to remove the motor with the cart on the ground vs on stands. I would definitely remove the motor first and go from there. I suggest tearing the rear end down and then get the parts. Each bearing will have a part number stamped on it. I went to a local bearing supply house and sourced them easily and for much less than buying them from EZGO. The seals are actually just O rings. Easily sourced at automotive supply store. Take your examples and match up there. You will need to source the plugs for the intermediate shaft from EZGO.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #184
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Hi terryh,

I've tried to read up on all 19 pages, is sounds like you successfully run a high speed motor with high speed gears. That's what I'd like to do if I could. Right now here's what I have.

1996 ezgo series 36v cart

Alltrax axe 650 amp controller
2awg cables
Heavy duty f/r
48v solenoid
Getting new Trojan 6, 8v
Going with 20.5" tires
Emp 36v 2 speed motor.

Can I go with a d&d motor instead of the emp, and be able to run 8:1 gears? Would it be safe long term?

From everything else I'm reading, high speed gears and a high speed motor is a bad idea.

I also want it just for cruising the neighbor hood, and for a speed run every once in a while.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #185
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
Hi terryh,

I've tried to read up on all 19 pages, is sounds like you successfully run a high speed motor with high speed gears. That's what I'd like to do if I could. Right now here's what I have.

1996 ezgo series 36v cart

Alltrax axe 650 amp controller
2awg cables
Heavy duty f/r
48v solenoid
Getting new Trojan 6, 8v
Going with 20.5" tires
Emp 36v 2 speed motor.

Can I go with a d&d motor instead of the emp, and be able to run 8:1 gears? Would it be safe long term?

From everything else I'm reading, high speed gears and a high speed motor is a bad idea.

I also want it just for cruising the neighbor hood, and for a speed run every once in a while.
D&D can certainly provide a motor that will work for you but personally I'd run the EMP and see what happens. You'll need to monitor the motor temp.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #186
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Thanks for the reply. I'm only wary of the emp motor, because I emailed emp, and they said It was designed to run 36v only. And that I could get it setup for 48v for $350 plu shipping.

The cart I got the motor and parts out of had it on 48v. A lot of stock 36 motors handle 48v. Maybe it's a liability thing, I don't know. But it should at least handle 48v
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #187
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm only wary of the emp motor, because I emailed emp, and they said It was designed to run 36v only. And that I could get it setup for 48v for $350 plu shipping.

The cart I got the motor and parts out of had it on 48v. A lot of stock 36 motors handle 48v. Maybe it's a liability thing, I don't know. But it should at least handle 48v
You should have heard their reaction when I called them about building a motor for me. I can't say for sure that it will work but I'd give it a shot. Watch the temp and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #188
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post

You simply remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers and the axles should pull out with the bearings intact...except for they always seem to be stuck big time in the housing. Scottyb truned me onto remounting the brake drum backwards onto the axle so you can hit the face of the drum using a dead blow hammer to drive the axle out. Works like a charm!

These were really stuck. I was beginning to wonder but they finally popped loose.

How does banging on the axle essentially into the rear diff help the axle to come out the other way? from the rebound effect?
bjbbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #189
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbbiker View Post
How does banging on the axle essentially into the rear diff help the axle to come out the other way? from the rebound effect?
You're not banging the axle into the differential. You are striking the face of the backwards drum to extract the axle from the housing.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #190
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
You're not banging the axle into the differential. You are striking the face of the backwards drum to extract the axle from the housing.
ahh, hitting it from left to right on your pic. got it now. havent taken the brake assembly apart, just the drum and c-clips trying to remove the axles. what holds the reversed drum on, the castle nut?

thanks!
bjbbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO