lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
drbescott
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 2Five slows when hot? Engine brake?

Hey guys,

I have a very odd problem that I have called ezgo about and have taken it to an EZGO shop three times. No one can figure out what the problem is. During the winter it runs very well and I have no problem - maxing out at 25 miles an hour on the speedometer. I was out the other day during a hot day -we are in the 90’s to 100s right now. For the first 8 holes it was fine, but then the cart would not go any faster than approximately 8 to 10 mph. It’s like it has gone into turtle mode (usual turtle mode 12mph). However, you can smell the brake - it seems like it is on. This is a 2015 2five 4. Generally when you roll to a stop the cart will slowly roll to a stop. When this is occurring, it comes to an immediate stop. If you place it in neutral- you cannot move the cart. If you engage the tow mode- you cannot move the cart. The batteries are brand new and the panel shows the batteries are fully charged. The shop changed the selenoid thinking that might make it work- no change. There has never been any error codes either. I looked at all the disk brakes- they do not appear to be engaged. If the cart sits for the night- runs perfect in the morning. If I continue to use the cart and not let it sit- the battery drains very quickly- again- as if the brake is on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
drbescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO 2Five slows when hot? Engine brake?

Brakes are adjusted too tight. The adjuster is at the cable at the master cylinder under the seat. Seen this many times.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
rngilliland
Gone Wild

I think the 2Five has the automatic parking brake like an RXV. Your symptoms sound like it is failing. Most of the ones I have seen fail start with the electrical smell from the brake dragging and then locking up randomly. Next time the cart runs slow check the automatic brake. Be careful, because if it is dragging, it gets hot enough to burn you. The brake is on the end of the motor and EZGO calls it a motor brake.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, buy a $230 motor brake, or try adjusting the brake cable for free. Your call.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
drbescott
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the motor brake as well. The brake cable adustment sounded solid as well, but that would be a problem all the time- not just when the cart is hot- I would think. I just was not sure if any other sensors could make the auto brake engage when failing or hot- like the heat sensor etc. I have yet to find the service manual- so just going off of other posts that have some similarity. Does a failing auto brake match the problem? Thanks !
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Listen to cgtech. He's in the business. His solution is free. If it doesn't work then change the brake. The 2five and RXV are similar but not identical. My 2 cents.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Well, buy a $230 motor brake, or try adjusting the brake cable for free. Your call.
My brake cable was a little tight from the factory. Your brake fuid might expand in hot weather just enough to start dragging, then the brake drag heats up the brake fluid even more causing more dragging.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbescott View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the motor brake as well. The brake cable adustment sounded solid as well, but that would be a problem all the time- not just when the cart is hot- I would think. I just was not sure if any other sensors could make the auto brake engage when failing or hot- like the heat sensor etc. I have yet to find the service manual- so just going off of other posts that have some similarity. Does a failing auto brake match the problem? Thanks !
Yes it does, but other issues can do it too. You really need a full diagnostics session. Where are you located? By the way, I do have the 2Five service manual, but it's a book, not a .pdf file. The wiring diagrams are here...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
drbescott
Not Yet Wild

Dumb question I am sure- I know it’s 4 disk brakes- where do I find the adjustment nut to loosen them- at the pedal?

I have been looking for the service manual in Pdf/digital- have not found it yet.

Brian
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbescott View Post
Dumb question I am sure- I know it’s 4 disk brakes- where do I find the adjustment nut to loosen them- at the pedal?

I have been looking for the service manual in Pdf/digital- have not found it yet.

Brian
Look under the seat, drivers side. There will be a hydraulic master cylinder in a bracket that is connected via a cable to the brake pedal. The cable connects to a lever for the master cylinder, there is an adjustment. There is also an adjustment at the clevis that connects the cable to the brake pedal assembly.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO