lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #41
Keperkey
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Winch mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
I took the winch solenoid apart today to set it up to be wired to a momentary on/off/on switch. The video link I put up is very easy to follow. I ran long wires instead of stubby ones like in the video. I figured I'd just run all solid wires to the switch. I went with what the video said, Yellow is in, white is out and the red will be my power. I only drilled two holes. I came out of the same hole for the power wire. I'll fill the holes in the solenoid box with silicone, once I confirm everything is working correctly.
Did you finish this project? Where did you put the new switch? Any feedback?

Did you wire directly to your battery as the directions show? I don’t like that the 2500 is always on. I bought the 2500 yesterday and planned on doing the switch mod and possibly a power mod but am rethinking getting the 3500. By the time I fabricate the new switch and cutoff I will be creeping up on 3500 price territory and could get the better winch.
Keperkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #42
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keperkey View Post
Did you finish this project? Where did you put the new switch? Any feedback?

Did you wire directly to your battery as the directions show? I don’t like that the 2500 is always on. I bought the 2500 yesterday and planned on doing the switch mod and possibly a power mod but am rethinking getting the 3500. By the time I fabricate the new switch and cutoff I will be creeping up on 3500 price territory and could get the better winch.
The 3500 is $135, I paid $50 for the 2500. I can't see a switch and some wires costing more than $10-$20. I mounted the switch on my dash board and yes, I wired it directly to my battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the 3500 wired directly to the battery too? All my atv's are wired directly to the battery and are always on and I've never had an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg winch switch.jpeg (99.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5274.jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #43
Keperkey
Not Yet Wild

With 25% coupon it makes the 3500 $100. The 3500 turns on with the ignition key. There is a separate wire for the power.

Depending on which switch you buy you will be in it for $70-75 and still “always on”. The 3500 also has a better clutch.

Where did you mount your solenoid?

I am torn right now. I can see either way.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #44
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keperkey View Post
With 25% coupon it makes the 3500 $100. The 3500 turns on with the ignition key. There is a separate wire for the power.

Depending on which switch you buy you will be in it for $70-75 and still “always on”. The 3500 also has a better clutch.

Where did you mount your solenoid?

I am torn right now. I can see either way.
Look at the 2nd pic, I mounted the solenoid under the seat. I would not feel comfortable wiring the winch to the ignition switch. How much amp draw would that be on your ignition switch?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #45
Keperkey
Not Yet Wild

I don’t know the draw. I don’t know much about electrical. Most winches I have looked at draw 12v from the ignition which I assume is there to keep the winch from working if the key is not on. This is based on reading instructions from a number of winches. Maybe that is not an issue at all.

Did you swap the wires from the winch to the solenoid with the ones from the solenoid to the battery to have room to move the solenoid under the seat?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #46
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

It's the amp draw you need to be concerned with. I'm pretty sure the winch came with a 50 or 60 amp circuit breaker. A winch draws a lot of amps. I had 10 gauge wire, so I just used that to make the wires longer so I could mount the solenoid under the seat. I'm not sure of the amp rating of the ignition switch on a golf cart. maybe some others will chime in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO