lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Trojan battery shelf life

Is it common for a set of batteries to have been installed in April 2007 but have a date stamp of April 2006. I have delt with auto batteries that were on the shelf "dry" when sold the acid was then added to the battery. I am not familiar with Trojans, are they sometimes shipped to the dealer dry? Thanks for any info.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan battery shelf life

I would say that that is not common at all! Did you buy them as blems?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's not my cart. It belongs to a friend of mine who bought the batteries from a dealer in 4/07 When I checked the code on them they show D06. I think he may have been hosed by someone but I don't plan on telling him. Are all Trojans shipped "wet" ??
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
It's not my cart. It belongs to a friend of mine who bought the batteries from a dealer in 4/07 When I checked the code on them they show D06. I think he may have been hosed by someone but I don't plan on telling him. Are all Trojans shipped "wet" ??
Yes - They are "wet" from the manufacturer. Must not be a very active repair shop to have 1 year old batteries on the shelf. I'b bet that they were 'used' or purchased as 'recons'...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mike-I didn't look close enough!! The plot thickens--Five bats are T605s dated 4/06 The six one is a 105 dated 4/05, all installed 4/07. My friend has trouble winding his watch so wouldn't have known to check on anything. Surprising though all 6 batteries check out at a very good level. I will leave it alone but suggest he might want to pick another dealer in the future. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
wpns
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wow, mixing capacities is really bad, mixing ages is really bad, I'm surprised he got 2.5 years out of them. I guess I wouldn't bother to say anything, but definitely get a new, matched pack from a reputable dealer next time.
wpns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
impdaddy
Gone Wild
Club Car

I may be a real dumb*** but for the life of me, i just looked at a cart with t105 batteries and could not find the date stamp. Does anyone have a pic of one so I know where to look next time? Thanks and don't pick on me.
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by impdaddy View Post
I may be a real dumb*** but for the life of me, i just looked at a cart with t105 batteries and could not find the date stamp. Does anyone have a pic of one so I know where to look next time? Thanks and don't pick on me.
Negative battery terminal has a letter/number stamped in the lead. C6 would be March 2006 (1996 if they are really old SOB's). All Trojans are this way, but not necessarily other brands.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
wpns
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not all Trojan batteries have always had the date stamps, I've seen lots of them with Trojan molded cases that have smooth posts. Maybe they file off the datestamps sometimes (when they sell out-of-date batteries to the grey market?), but I have seen them.
wpns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpns View Post
Not all Trojan batteries have always had the date stamps, I've seen lots of them with Trojan molded cases that have smooth posts. Maybe they file off the datestamps sometimes (when they sell out-of-date batteries to the grey market?), but I have seen them.
I emailed the text below to Trojan and got a reply.....hope this helps others
who think they got an aftermarket battery...

Hello, I just purchased a set of T-105 batteries from Florida Golf Cart 7660-D S Tamiami Trail * Sarasota, FL 34231 * Phone (941)358-3000 * Fax (877)923-2278 When i got home and started to install I noticed there was only one date stamp on one post E2 and it looked like the other post was filed clean...same on all batteries. I have the invoice and it says 18 month warranty. What is up with the code as that would make these batteries May of this year??? Please reply and thanks for your time Ron

Below is Trojan Battery's response:

We only put a date code on the negative terminal of the battery. The E2 code that is on your batteries represents May 2012, but that code is put on the batteries in March 2012 to allow time for the batteries to get through our distribution system. This ensures you are not shorted of any warranty time if you do not have the receipt from when the batteries were purchased. Have a good day.

If you have additional comments or questions, please contact me at the information below.

Sincerely,

Stacey Delzeit
Product Engineer
Trojan Battery Company
sdelzeit@trojanbattery.com
678-518-7378
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO