lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
ryanmason81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Freedom mode lost

Yeah I just notice that while on the other thread as I was searching for a female XLR cable as my controller does not have a molex port
And the XLR cable looks proprietary. I may have to tap into it and put a secondary connector. And when you say "not what I can do" what do you mean?
ryanmason81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
ryanmason81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

As for the logic lines I didn't tap off of those either. I had two wire with spare spade connectors on them which I metered out as zero and 48v switched. Red and purple wires.
Looks like the controller is fine. I GPSed the cart and got it up to 18mph. But since I have delved into this world of tweaking I am going to tinker a bit
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmason81 View Post
Yeah I just notice that while on the other thread as I was searching for a female XLR cable as my controller does not have a molex port
And the XLR cable looks proprietary. I may have to tap into it and put a secondary connector. And when you say "not what I can do" what do you mean?
XLR connectors were widely used for data ports on mobility devices...

I designed controller hardware, wrote controller software (OS), and wrote controller programming software. I can delve much deeper into controllers than the limitations of programming software will allow. I worked with Curtis EV controllers more than any other brand, so I have more familiarity with those controllers.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
ryanmason81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
XLR connectors were widely used for data ports on mobility devices...

I designed controller hardware, wrote controller software (OS), and wrote controller programming software. I can delve much deeper into controllers than the limitations of programming software will allow. I worked with Curtis EV controllers more than any other brand, so I have more familiarity with those controllers.

Bob
Found the XLR cable end. CB radio mics use the same configuration. Thanks for the hint, don't know how but the google machine lead me after I looked up XLR cable for scooters. Do you know if the pin out is the same as the molex you had in your other post?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Red and Purple under the cup holder ? Those are for the brake light relay... If so I am surprised it hasn't blown up..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #16
ryanmason81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Red and Purple under the cup holder ? Those are for the brake light relay... If so I am surprised it hasn't blown up..
+ to the Battery
- to the Battery
C to the Red in the picture (metered out and is switched with the key switch
No issues and have used the cart a few times since. I don't have any idea why you would think it would blow up, it isn't shorting or overloading anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rxv_electric.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmason81 View Post
+ to the Battery
- to the Battery
C to the Red in the picture (metered out and is switched with the key switch
No issues and have used the cart a few times since. I don't have any idea why you would think it would blow up, it isn't shorting or overloading anything.
There is thread after thread about members trying to splice in to a RXV ignition switch. Everyone that has done it, shorted out the controller. Big Dollars mistake. There must be around 30 + threads here that tell you do not splice in to the key switch of a RXV. That is why he is telling you that. You got lucky is all I can say. RXV controllers only cost around 800 dollars

Bob told you this in a post earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Connecting wires to the keyswitch wires or SOC guage wires is a sure-fire way of screwing up your controller. They are all logic lines, some 48V and one 5V.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
ryanmason81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
There is thread after thread about members trying to splice in to a RXV ignition switch. Everyone that has done it, shorted out the controller. Big Dollars mistake. There must be around 30 + threads here that tell you DO NOT splice in to the key switch of a RXV. That is why he is telling you that. YOU got lucky is all I can say. RXV controllers only cost around 800 dollars

Bob told you this in a post earlier
No offence but if you look I did not splice into the Keyswitch or the State of charge wires. I have looked over the wiring diagram several times and nothing shows it would do any damage. My original post was to ask if you could loose freedom mode by disconnecting the battery. I get that you all have more experience with these golf carts, but I am a red seal electrician with 20 years of experience. and have installed motor controllers and vfds before. I didn't get lucky I used my knowledge. There is more than one way to skin a cat
Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #19
rib33024

Ok. what you have a red circle around in your pic says

ignition switch power + 48 volts. That's why I figured that's what you did.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The KSI (keyswitch) lead may connect to +48V, but it is not intended as a current source. It is used to supply low current logic signals to the controller! The keyswitch provides multiplexed logic to the controller to indicate the 3 logic states of the cart when it is active. Using that same source to provide current to anything that can cause that 48V line to fluctuate, CAN corrupt the controller. The proper place to connect any load is to the B+ (output) side of the solenoid. My aerospace engineering and 37 years of experience working with mission-critical systems leads me to err on the side of caution when it comes to integrated microprocessor based systems. Something as simple as disconnecing/reconnecting a battery pack lead without safing the controller HAS killed dozens of RXV controllers belonging to members here. An electrician would view that as similar to turning a power switch off and on that is feeding the controller. It is not the same to the controller. There are startup and shutdown sequences in the controller OS, and they are triggered by the timing sequence of power switching to specific leads of the controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO