lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
280Ackley
Not Yet Wild

Default New Build Confusion

I am building off a previously modified 2002 Ezgo PDS that the motor was blown and it was left for dead. Cart had a Alltrax dcx 500 in it that shows a solid green light when powered up. My attempt was to fix the small body and suspension issues, new 2ga cables, new plum quick motor, install a limited slip in the rear end, convert to 48 volt ,new Trojan battery pack and use the alltrax dcx that was in the cart.

I thought I wanted the Regen motor system to ease my descent down hills on my hunting properties since I would be using stock brakes. I’m not so sure now. I have my new PQ crocodile motor installed and contacted Ron at Alltrax to discuss mapping for my dcx controller and the motor combination. I was told mapping was not done on the PQ motors with any out of production controllers such as my dcx. Makes perfect sense but now I’m in a spot where Ron told me if I want to run that crocodile motor I would have no choice but to buy a new XCT 500 controller and splice it into the speed sensor on the PQ motor.

The old GE motor that was on the cart when I bought it did not have the speed sensor wired to the controller. I assume the Regen was programmed out of the controller settings.

Was my dcx controller acceptable to use with my new motor set up? Will the new controller provide better service? Do I connect the Regen or not?

Thanks fellas
280Ackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: New Build Confusion

Moved for quicker responses!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Ackley View Post
I am building off a previously modified 2002 Ezgo PDS that the motor was blown and it was left for dead. Cart had a Alltrax dcx 500 in it that shows a solid green light when powered up. My attempt was to fix the small body and suspension issues, new 2ga cables, new plum quick motor, install a limited slip in the rear end, convert to 48 volt ,new Trojan battery pack and use the alltrax dcx that was in the cart.

I thought I wanted the Regen motor system to ease my descent down hills on my hunting properties since I would be using stock brakes. I’m not so sure now. I have my new PQ crocodile motor installed and contacted Ron at Alltrax to discuss mapping for my dcx controller and the motor combination. I was told mapping was not done on the PQ motors with any out of production controllers such as my dcx. Makes perfect sense but now I’m in a spot where Ron told me if I want to run that crocodile motor I would have no choice but to buy a new XCT 500 controller and splice it into the speed sensor on the PQ motor.

The old GE motor that was on the cart when I bought it did not have the speed sensor wired to the controller. I assume the Regen was programmed out of the controller settings.

Was my dcx controller acceptable to use with my new motor set up? Will the new controller provide better service? Do I connect the Regen or not?

Thanks fellas
I'm sure some others will chime in. Consider this an informative bump. My situation is a bit different than yours but may shed some light.

I have the xct500 and I'm running a motor with regen with out the speed sensor hooked up. So to get regen working the speed sensor isnt needed with the xct.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
280Ackley
Not Yet Wild

So could I have gone with a series motor and kept the old controller?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
So could I have gone with a series motor and kept the old controller?
No. Series and SepEx are completely different motors and controllers.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
280Ackley
Not Yet Wild

So if I do not connect the speed sensor will the alltrax function control box work as designed? I liked the thoughts of tuning the Regen based on driving conditions/ terrain. I also liked the idea of being able to set the cart up to be safer for my wife and kids when they are driving it.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So if I do not connect the speed sensor will the alltrax function control box work as designed? I liked the thoughts of tuning the Regen based on driving conditions/ terrain. I also liked the idea of being able to set the cart up to be safer for my wife and kids when they are driving it.
Hmm, I'm not using that either lol I am using a diy 3 position key switch. It allows you to switch between 3 user profiles on the fly that's lockable when you pull the key out.

I would think the regen settings would still be tunable you would lose the ability to control speed. I basically have no limit to rpm it will go until it comes apart.

You will need a speed sensor to limit rpm/speed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think we are comparing Ezgo to CC here ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
CC can read and control motor rpm through the main wire harness.
Ezgo requires the motor speed sensor to be wire connected to the controller to read and control motor rpm (regen)

The new XCT is much more advanced than the old DCX. This is almost like comparing a flip phone to a smartphone. I listed 10 reasons why you want the XCT to be your next controller on my website. Maybe somebody could post the link it is very helpful stuff to know when deciding if you should upgrade or do as we all did with the DCX which is to turn everything way down to play it safe with the PQ motors.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like this? Is this the reasons that you are talking about?

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/about...ntrollers.html
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
280Ackley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas for all the input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO