lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
brushbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Smoking 94 295 robins.

This is a new post for me so maybe ill give enough info. 1994 cart has the 295 Robins engine. Smokes on start up and seems to go away after some run time. Compression is 170 both cylinders. Ive replaced the valve seals twice with aftermarket the first go round and then ome the second and still get the same results. I have a leak on the fan side output shaft that im going to replace. Could the oil ring on piston be worn down causing it to smoke even though i have good compression? Checked compression on two different checkers. And while i have motor out ,if i decided to replace rings would using the standard size ring set be enough since the compression is good.

Thanks for the any help
brushbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smoking 94 295 robins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbuggy View Post
This is a new post for me so maybe ill give enough info. 1994 cart has the 295 Robins engine. Smokes on start up and seems to go away after some run time. Compression is 170 both cylinders. Ive replaced the valve seals twice with aftermarket the first go round and then ome the second and still get the same results. I have a leak on the fan side output shaft that im going to replace. Could the oil ring on piston be worn down causing it to smoke even though i have good compression? Checked compression on two different checkers. And while i have motor out ,if i decided to replace rings would using the standard size ring set be enough since the compression is good.

Thanks for the any help
Yes, your oil rings could be worn and still have 170 on both cylinders. Your intake valves are probably worn out.
You will have to check the bore when you take everything apart. Only way to know if standard rings will work. Otherwise it will have to be bored.
Just to ask. You don't have a lift kit on it do you ? got any oil in air box ?
The seal leak you mentioned is probably from blow by.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Seconded. Fully agree with trig.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
brushbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Yes, your oil rings could be worn and still have 170 on both cylinders. Your intake valves are probably worn out.
You will have to check the bore when you take everything apart. Only way to know if standard rings will work. Otherwise it will have to be bored.
Just to ask. You don't have a lift kit on it do you ? got any oil in air box ?
The seal leak you mentioned is probably from blow by.
I have no blow by coming from pvc valve or oil in filter box. Haven’t taken oil fill cap off to find out but i will when i get home. Its not lifted but has bigger tires than standard. The engine has never been worked on since new so I figured the seals would be worn out. Ot runs good but trying to keep it from smoking. I was leaning on the side of oil ring causing the problem but didn’t know since compression was good if i could go ahead and order standard rings and have everything on hand before tear down. Thanks for the response!
Old 03-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #5
brushbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:41 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I third trig’s advice

I would tear it down and measure everything. Replace whatever is worn. Put it back together and go. Only way to know if std rings will work is to measure the bore. I’d be inclined to say yes they will based on your compression, the oil control rings are probably coked and stuck. But you never know until you measure it all.

Is the engine still in the cart? I always liked to run a some motor medic engine flush before I rebuild an engine. https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-a...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just pour some in, and drive slowly around the yard for 5-10 minutes. Then drain the oil and put in some fresh cheap oil. Drive it around for 15 min and drain it. Then try some regular oil you’d normally use. That stuff has some really strong detergents in it. When you drain the oil you’ll probably get chunks of black goo coming out too. Best case it frees up your oil control rings and maybe it will stop smoking. Worst case, it does an EXCELLENT job at cleaning out a lot of the varnish and tarry coked oil and crap out of the inside of the motor. So when you do tear it apart to rebuild it, it’s WAY cleaner.

To be clear, I’ve NEVER had an engine stop smoking when I used the stuff. But when I open them up they look brand new inside and man I sure have seen some gnarly nasty goop come out of it when I drain the oil.

Also note that if you get a rebuild kit, you’re gonna want to reuse the oil pump o-ring and there’s also an o-ring at the top of the side case. These 2 o-rings that come in the rebuild kits NEVER fit right and can cause issues with oil pressure or leaks.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Overfilled with oil causes them to smoke as well, sometimes loads the muffler with oil that burns off. just FYI
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:01 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Overfilled with oil causes them to smoke as well, sometimes loads the muffler with oil that burns off. just FYI
No doubt too much oil will cause smoking . Always something that might sneak by all of us, especially me because I am old
I asked him about oil being in the air box and he said no so I assumed it was not overfilled.
I also asked about the cart being lifted and he also said no.
Lifted cart or not I always measure 1.5 quarts when I put fresh oil in.
I enjoy reading your posts nickdalzell1. Come back here more often. Tom
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Blue smoke on startup is usually valve seals, which you tried (check side to side valve stem play). Worn oil rings normally smoke all the time, not just at startup...they don't leak overnight. But, ya never know.

You sure it's oil smoke and not a leaky carb causing a rich mix at start? Very rich would be white smoke and smell of hydrocarbons, oil smoke is bluish and smells a bit sweet.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:12 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarRat View Post
Blue smoke on startup is usually valve seals, which you tried (check side to side valve stem play). Worn oil rings normally smoke all the time, not just at startup...they don't leak overnight. But, ya never know.

You sure it's oil smoke and not a leaky carb causing a rich mix at start? Very rich would be white smoke and smell of hydrocarbons, oil smoke is bluish and smells a bit sweet.
But due to the design of a golf cart with the muffler and all underneath it, it’s easy to see the smoke when going from a start. But not as easy while you’re driving around
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO