lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default A perplexing EZ-GO why won't this move?

I last drove my cart into my garage yesterday and all was fine. Today, after a charge, I jumped on the cart, turned on the key, hit reverse, heard the solenoid click....and nothing. NADA.....ZIP. No movement.

I turned the key off and on with no affect. I put the BMS into sleep mode and back on with no effect.

I then took my MM and began to check voltage readings. A buddy was helping me with hitting the go peddle.

So, I put the MM on the controller + and then the controller -, he hit the "gas" and WE GOT MOVEMENT!! The cart jumped so quickly I didn't get a voltage reading on the controller.

The controller gave it's normal green flashing light to say "all is good." I took the cart for a short ride and all is well.

Any thoughts on this mystery?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: A perplexing EZ-GO why won't this move?

Put a wrench on all the connections to make sure everything is good and tight. I had same problem with it VERY sporaticaly not working, it finally quit.it was a nut on the controller that was not loose, but was able to tighten it about 1/8-1/4 turn. Haven't had problem since. Never would have thought that it not being "tight" would shut cart down.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just a though and my opinion... May not have been the "tightness" but rather a little oxidation between the terminal and post/nut.
Loosen all of the connections and spray some battery terminal cleaner on them. then wipe them off and give them a coating of battery terminal protector then retighten everything.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Could be oxidation. I checked the tightness of the main connections and some of the smaller ones by just grabbing the connector stud with my hand and seeing if I could move (rotate) them. None appeared loose.

But thanks for the idea of doing a good cleaning of the connections. Since I switched to lithium, terminal cleaning is a thing of the past....along with cleaning up any connections.

I'll give it a clean and see how it goes!
Old 04-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Could be oxidation. I checked the tightness of the main connections and some of the smaller ones by just grabbing the connector stud with my hand and seeing if I could move (rotate) them. None appeared loose.

But thanks for the idea of doing a good cleaning of the connections. Since I switched to lithium, terminal cleaning is a thing of the past....along with cleaning up any connections.

I'll give it a clean and see how it goes!
I did the same....all were tight to touch. Wasn't until I actually put a wrench on them that I discovered it. Wrench only turned slightly, didn't think it was the problem, but it was. Cart took off and hasn't stopped since.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I did the same....all were tight to touch. Wasn't until I actually put a wrench on them that I discovered it. Wrench only turned slightly, didn't think it was the problem, but it was. Cart took off and hasn't stopped since.
Thanks Brad...and all others. It's gonna be cool and rainy today.....good day to go to the garage (heated) and check my connections!!
Old 08-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well.....just to finally update an older thread with the "answer" to the problem!!

What was occurring was there were two "clips" that go on the controller with the normal Receptacle (female). Apparently from years of being jostled around, the crimp tightness loosened up. Hey....go figure. So I crimped them a little with needle nose pliers and all is fine!!
Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

It's amazing how something as little as that will effect your cart. Glad you found it! A lot of folks would have figured they need a new controller $$$$$-----
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO