lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
tunnelmike
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery terminals melting

Sounds like my issues.......maybe in a little differant order but accurate. Mike
tunnelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks KEV; pass me the beer wouldya...
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
mower-moley
Not Yet Wild

Just wondering what style of terminal are on the pacer batteries? Do they have thread terminals like the trojan batteries? I only use 4ga wires now as the 6ga under heavy load would warm up and cause the battery nuts to come loose; thus causing melted terminals. Make sure the tops of the batteries are kept clean as well.
mower-moley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
roady89
nimda
Club Car

All golf cart batteries have the same style terminals.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
mower-moley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
i have seen the odd variation over here, cant remember the name of the battery but has automotive style posts.
mower-moley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah I have seen that too, it is a GC battery with automotive terminals for Marine an/or Solar use...... Forget who's they were.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Trojan offers LPT, HPT, and AP on all their T-105 products. I custom ordered mine with DLT with w 5/16, basically a flange terminal with 2 5/16 inch holes on 1 inch on centers so you can use heavy duty 2 - hole lugs like you would use on a commercial battery plants. Cables terminations rarely ever come loose and the huge surface area guarantees very low resistance connections on the order of 15 mico-ohms or less can be made.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Trojan offers LPT, HPT, and AP on all their T-105 products. I custom ordered mine with DLT with w 5/16, basically a flange terminal with 2 5/16 inch holes on 1 inch on centers so you can use heavy duty 2 - hole lugs like you would use on a commercial battery plants. Cables terminations rarely ever come loose and the huge surface area guarantees very low resistance connections on the order of 15 mico-ohms or less can be made.
I think pictures of your custom battery terminals are in order here
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
DVR
Gone Wild
Club Car

my napa batteries have a stud and a auto type post.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
navara20030
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mower-moley View Post
Just wondering what style of terminal are on the pacer batteries? Do they have thread terminals like the trojan batteries? I only use 4ga wires now as the 6ga under heavy load would warm up and cause the battery nuts to come loose; thus causing melted terminals. Make sure the tops of the batteries are kept clean as well.
During 2004/5 EZGO changed the manufacturer of the 6g cables (cost saving). The 'new' cables were found to contain an isolating varnish called Mylar, which isolated each internal strand of wire, OK for a welder or soldered terminals.

EZGO crimp the cables and subsequently the strands in contact with the cripped terminal made a connection causing a poor connection and high amperage travelling down a limited number of strands. Extreme heat was generated causing battery poles melting. The problem was exaggerated as the battery charge level dropped, the terrain was hilly or the golf course used the cars foe numerous rounds per day.

EZGO denied they had a problem for many months and only allowed replacement if the customer made a complaint, a full recall would have cost millions of $$$$/£££££.

MPT/Workhorses did not have this problem since they use 4g, infact we fitted 1000e cables as replacements in the early days!!

So, since this car in question was an '05, I would say you have the old style cables. An easy way of identifying the new cable, each cable has 'NM' printed on the out plastic.
navara20030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO