lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Gerardjr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Intro, newbie needs advice

Hello, I was recently given a old 95' ezgo medalist by my dad. It has sat up for quite some time and is in need of some TLC. While searching for information i stumbled upon this site and have found alot of valuable information. I am however in need of some clarifications/ help on some items.
Before i stripped the cart it was having some problems maintaining speed, which we think we linked to the controller. I know the batteries are good they were taken out of another cart. I was under the impression that i would need to change the motor and controller all at once; however on different threads i read that it is not necessary. I plan on installing a jakes 6" spindle lift, an alltrax controller, new solenoid and fnr switch and 4 ga wires.
Now to the Questions. Is the 500 amp controller really necessary, or can i get away with the 400 even if i change the motor in the future? i plan on using my current motor till it dies. I will not be climbing many hills. Lastly if i order the jakes lift will my stock tires and wheels fit till my budget allows me to purchase new ones? I plan on ordering everything from East Coast Customs. Thanks for the help. this site has already helped alot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA210165.jpg (60.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PA210167.jpg (80.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PA210169.jpg (80.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PA210170.jpg (102.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PA210171.jpg (123.1 KB, 17 views)
Gerardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
98chevy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Intro, newbie needs advice

What are you doing with the golf cart. Pavement pounder or offroad machine or a little of both? I run a beast motor with a 700 amp contorller and its perfect for what I do. Its not good for pavement ponder cuss it yanks me off the line and is kinda fast but not that fast for the street. Its awsome off road and haulin my spray tank. I hope this makes since.
98chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Gerardjr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98chevy View Post
What are you doing with the golf cart. Pavement pounder or offroad machine or a little of both? I run a beast motor with a 700 amp contorller and its perfect for what I do. Its not good for pavement ponder cuss it yanks me off the line and is kinda fast but not that fast for the street. Its awsome off road and haulin my spray tank. I hope this makes since.
I mainly pan on using it around my yard hauling materials and people, i live on a lot of land. By the way it is a series motor (no run tow switch).
Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If your not hauling much or pulling any hills the 400 amp might be ok. I'd get the biggest one you can afford. When you put larger tires on it your gonna loose some torque. Good batts, good cables and good connections are key to it.

Stock tires and wheels will fit but you can't run a larger tire like a 22" on the stock wheels or it can rub.

If you plan on using the stock motor till it dies you may be waiting a while. Those things last a loooong time.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Gerardjr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I decided on a alltrax 400 controller with new cables and a jake 3" spindle lift. Trying to save a few bucks. This is my first rebuild so i want to keep thing kinda simple. My frame has some rust on it and i was thinking about painting it with either Heculiner bedliner or rustoleum paint, any sugusstions?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
eparker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

From one newbie to another.
For the rust I would use a product called POR 15. It reacts with the rust and turns almost to a super hard glass like finish. Hot Rodders us it all the time.
You should be able to find it at a quality auto parts store.
eparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Gerardjr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker View Post
From one newbie to another.
For the rust I would use a product called POR 15. It reacts with the rust and turns almost to a super hard glass like finish. Hot Rodders us it all the time.
You should be able to find it at a quality auto parts store.
thanks, I checked the website looks like good stuff!!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
FireAtWill
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Gerard,

Take a look at my build and see if you like...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...te-thanks.html

I started out with a 1995 like yours. If you need where I bought my parts PM me.

FAW
FireAtWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Gerardjr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAtWill View Post
Gerard,

Take a look at my build and see if you like...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...te-thanks.html

I started out with a 1995 like yours. If you need where I bought my parts PM me.

FAW
Thanks, Ill let you know if i need anything. I already read alot of your threads on your rebuild and it helped with alot of questions i had.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine started out also like yours a 95 Metalist. Before I bought mine it got in a fight with a drunken ugly tree. It was pretty dented up. But mechanically and running wise it was pretty sound. I put a TXT body, 500 GE speed controller, 4 ga cables, aftermarket GE 4hp motor, and White Rodgers high amp solenoid. It is only a 36 volt cart and does 20mph with a 250lb driver. It is the pic in my avatar. Good luck.
rjriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez go medalist 95
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO