lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
uhpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default PDS conversion to 48v..confused!!

I know this has been asked (48v conversion) but I have been reading/searching for a week on two diff sites and still have some questions that I can't clarify. Most 48v conversion posts refer to non-pds carts.

1) Is doing a 48v conv on a PDS the same as on a non-pds as far as parts and how to go about doing it. ie; Gorna's ride. (I have his pics printed and threads subscribed to.)

2) How come some use a 36v solenoid and others use a 48v.

3) What is different between using a 48v charger as opposed to 36v+12v besides just moving the white charge recepticle wire to 3rd battery.

The reason I'm looking at doing this is because I have brand new batteries (bought end of Sep 09) and 4ga cables. I was just thinking IF I was going to do this at some point I might as well do it now while my batts are new or I'll have to wait 4-5 years till the batteries need replacing.

Have an Alltrax DCX500 waiting to be installed.

Also have a new 36v WR586 waiting for install. But if I need a 48v I want to get that before I install this one.

For those that have done this on a PDS what were your results?

I don't want speed just the torque for easing around the woods, up and down a few hills.

Thanks
uhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS conversion to 48v..confused!!

You can convert a pds to 48v, I am building one right now, but you will need a 48v solenoid, and a 48v pds controller (alltrax makes one) And then if you want to keep your 6v batteries you got, just purchase 2 more 6v's put them in the rear bagwell, and wire them up to get your 48v, charger wise you will need a 48v charger, trying to charge with your stock charger and a automotive style 12v charger just will not work right, let me know if you have any more questions
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

O and you can run your stock 36v motor on 48v, just replace the motor brushes with a new set, and keep an eye on the the brushes because they will wear faster, also with the alltrax controller you will not be using the speed sensor on the motor, so you need to be cautious when flying down hills, the motor can easly come apart,
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
sunking
Gone Wild

Moral to the story is a shunt wound motor (PDS) is not the best choice for this type of conversion.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

we use the stock pds motor all the time 400 amp all trax for non lifted and 600 amp alltrax for lifted carts either way 30mph plus and have not have a problem yet
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL - You are bound and determined to go 48!!!! You can charge the extra batteries with a 12 volt charger. It works, but it's just another charger and general pain in the hum hum. I really think you need to run the cart with your new controller first to see if that is what you want. Leave the new solenoid off the cart while you are "experimenting". I think you will be very pleased with the parts that you have. More amps, more volts can lead to more $$, so this is why I have been recommending to you that you need to run the cart in 36 for a spell to see what you think

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
LOL - You are bound and determined to go 48!!!! You can charge the extra batteries with a 12 volt charger. It works, but it's just another charger and general pain in the hum hum. I really think you need to run the cart with your new controller first to see if that is what you want. Leave the new solenoid off the cart while you are "experimenting". I think you will be very pleased with the parts that you have. More amps, more volts can lead to more $$, so this is why I have been recommending to you that you need to run the cart in 36 for a spell to see what you think

yea what he said you can always up grade..
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
uhpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK Mike, I'll stay 36..............for now I just wanted to way my options since I already have plenty invested in upgrades a little more for 2 batts and a charger wouldnt be THAT big of a deal.

I forgot about just using the older solenoid to start with. Since I have my controller tuned down it should work, at least for a bit. Didn't want to waste the $$ of the 36v solenoid if I ended up upgrading.

Heading to MS next Sunday, Nov 7. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.

I wish I would have brought it home. I'd already have the stuff installed. I cant wait.

Thanks again for everything Mike....and everyone else.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ha! It's just KILLING you waiting on installing those parts, isn't it

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
uhpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Ha! It's just KILLING you waiting on installing those parts, isn't it
Man you just don't know!

I almost drove over there yesterday just to have to come back today. But that would have been 11 hours of driving in less than 2 days, so I'm just patiently (not! ) waiting till next Sunday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO