lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Default First EZGO-problem with charger

Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I bought my first cart over the holidays. It's a used 2006 EZGO PDS. I am having a problem with the charger. It came with a PowerWise Qe charger. Whenever I plug it into the wall, it would trip my GFI plug. I tried different outlets and keep getting the same results.
Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix, short of replacing the charger?
Thanks in advance.
mcbean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

Default Re: First EZGO-problem with charger

sounds like you have a short in charger, check inside for burnt/loose wires, also try outlet that is not gfi as gfis go bad quite often. kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think that charger is a Delta-Q 48 sold under the EZ-GO label. If it is you might e-mail Hiroshi Hasagawa at Delta-Q. Their headquarters are about a hours drive north of me in Langley,BC,Canada. Hiroshi is their head of product support and a really nice guy. He might be able to help you. I had a issue with my Quiq 48 that was the fault of the place I bought it from and it was nothing to do with the quality of the charger. They didn't set the voltage right for my 42v system. I drove up there and while their tech guy setup my charger the right way Hiroshi gave me a tour.

His e-mail address is hhasagawa@delta-q.com
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

jauguston,
Thanks for the link. I just emailed Hiroshi. Let's see what he thinks. I'll post up the results as soon as I hear back from him.
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

jauguston,
Is the email link you gave correct? My email got bounced back stating address is undeliverable.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry guys - dumb thumbs.

hhasegawa@delta-q.com

Jim
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

thanks jauguston.
I'll try the new link.

I tried plugging the charger into a non-GFI outlet and the charger works fine. I just don't understand why it trips GFI outlets. All the outlets in the garage are GFI. Would it be OK to swap a GFI outlet out for a non GFI outlet for charging the cart?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would.

Jim
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

One other thing to check would be the outlet itself. There might be a reversal in the gfci outlet that is causing the charger to produce the "current leak" that trips the outlet. There are plug in testers that you can use to check the wiring of the outlet, and they're fairly inexpensive.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Free Spirit.
When you say "a reversal in the GFI outlet" are you saying that it's not wired up correctly or is there a fault in the GFI outlet? Sorry, I don't know much about electrical.
Can I get more info on this tester? Is this something I can buy at Home Depot?
I tried every single GFI outlet in the garage, laundry room, even kitchen. The charger tripped them all. The only outlet in the garage that's not GFI is the outlet for the water softener. That's a non GFI outlet and it's the only one that the charger works on.
Also, if I change a GFI outlet out for a non-GFI outlet, am I doing any harm or put anything at risk?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO