lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding stereo

Hi guys,
My in-laws have an electric 2006 EZGO and they are looking to add a stereo to it. Nothing crazy, just deck and 2 speakers.
How many here just attached it to 2 of the 6 batts versus using a power converter reducer?
I like the idea of using the power converter reducer. For those that went this route, is there a brand you recommend and where to buy?
Also, they just have lights on the cart right now. I doubt they will want to add anything else besides the stereo. Should I go with a 10A reducer or 25A?
Any advice is recommended.
Thanks in advance.
mcbean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding stereo

mcbean7

You can do it either way, but I always choose the larger of the two reducers, you never know what else you may add.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

Personally - I wouldn't waste the $$ if all you are adding is a stereo.
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
FireAtWill
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have lights running off of 2 batteries, Ground Effects off of 2 more, and my stereo off of the last 2. I haven't seen one bit of problems or difference.

Will
FireAtWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAtWill View Post
I have lights running off of 2 batteries, Ground Effects off of 2 more, and my stereo off of the last 2. I haven't seen one bit of problems or difference.

Will
Spreading the wealth around, I like it
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Spend the $60-$80 and get you a voltage reducer and do it right while you are doing it. I'd go with a 25a and run the lights and stereo thru it.
I'm only running lights, but I'm doing it thru a reducer.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all your responses. I have decided to go with a voltage reducer (25A) and fuse block. I'm hoping this will make future accessory add-ons easier.
OK. My experience with electrical is very limited. Here are some more questions:
1. How do you hook up a voltage reducer? Does anyone have a diagram of this (hopefully a simple, crayon version).
2. Does the voltage reducer need to be in a dry place? I'm thinking of putting it under the seat somewhere, along with the fuse block.
3. Can someone please draw a diagram with a stereo head unit, fuse block, and voltage reducer, batteries hooked together?
4. On the fuse block, can I run the grounds from all the accessories to the fuse block, then have one ground from the fuse block back to the negative terminal on the batt?
Currently, the cart has a three way key switch (off-on-acc). The lights are hooked up to the acc position. I would like to rewire this so when I turn it to the "acc" position, nothing is turned on until you manually flip a rocker switch for "stereo" or "lights". Hopefully, this will prevent people from leaving the stereo on and draining the batteries. I'll re-wire the lights to be turned on by a rocker switch too. OK, can someone please diagram this out too? Heehee...sorry for the rookie questions guys.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hehe, gotta love those crayon schematics. Where is Doomsman when ya need him?

Wish I could help you John. Mine is a gas guzzler. Good luck with yours.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
mcbean7
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bill. I checked out the links you sent for the MP3 amp. Personally, if it was my cart, I'd go this route. All my tunes are on the Ipod anyways. I gave up on CDs, especially on the Bu. But the in-laws want a head unit with CD player "in case" they want to listen to CDs. Yeah right! I'm willing to bet the CD player never sees a CD in its life.
Wiring is not my strong point. I really need things dumbed down. From reading all the posts here I have a rough idea how to go about this but want to confirm everything before tackling this job. The last thing I need is for the father-in-law to turn on the tunes and have the cart go up in smoke. Then, it will be my butt that goes up in smoke!
I'll post pics as I go along.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

mcbean7

When you hook up your voltage reducer, there is a input side and output side. Input goes to the first and last bat of your pack. the output pos goes to your fuse block, and neg goes to all of your neg connections for acc.. Now if you want you could run the wire that will be feeding fuse block all the way to the third position of your 3 way key position and have a return wire come back to the fuse block to provide power. The radio should have red, black and yellow wire. The red wire goes to fuse block, black to neg, and the yellow is for memory, like when you program a radio station, it keeps that stored, you could tie that it with the input to your red coming from the reducer to your acc switch on the key. Make sure you get a meter so you can check voltages along the way, check the output from the reducer before you start hooking things up to make sure you are only getting 12V. Hope this helps.. Other guys may have other ideas, but this should work.

Make sure you read you radio manual, the wires may be different colors than I described.

Mark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO