lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

Default total charge IV only charging for an hour??

New to golf carting and loving it. I have a 2000 ezgo series cart, everything is stock. I did just put all 4ga. wires and just put in new workaholics batteries, not by choice but they where $300 and t105 in my area are $600. anyhow my problem is my charger ,Total charge IV with the led timer, is only charging for about an hour and a half then stops charging. I dont have a volt meter or anything to test with. I did just change out the circut board b/c the charger wasn't working at all. even with the old t605 batteries the where in the cart the charger still only charged for about an hour and half. So just wondering if anyone could tell me why this is?? New batts are supposed to come with 70% charge right? wouldn't it take longer than hour to get it fully charged?? Thanks!
dlh133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: total charge IV only charging for an hour??

not sure if i was supposed to but i tried to charge my new batts again and my charger shut off after 30mins. i did it again and 30mins more and shut off.

i want to break-in the batts the right way but this doesn't seem right. Is it possible for the new batts to fully charged with a total of 2 hour charge?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

dlh133, Welcome to BGW!

Without a digital volt meter there is no telling just what the heck is going on. Get a meter, it is a necessary tool for a sparky owner. No need to spend more than $25 for one, and they are easy to learn.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

I got a multimeter today and tested my new batts.

1-6.38
2-6.38
3-6.37
4-6.37
5-6.37
6-6.37
total=38.2

i guess this are good numbers. so i'm going to run it for 20mins and recharge and see if i can get a longer charge time then an hour and a half. I hope this is the right way to break the batts in.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...one-right.html
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

i have read over the battery break-in and everything leads me to think that the batts should be charging for around 5 to 12 hours is this right?

i drove my cart for 23mins. then put it on the charger and again it only charged for 48mins. then shut off. my total pack is at 38.5 now, before the charge "after my 23min ride" the pack read 37.1

does this mean my charger is charging to fast or that i just didn't draw enough out of the batts in 23mins.?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Sorry, I'm just not familiar with that charger. Your pack is 100% charged at 38.5v. Was the 23 minutes actual pedal time? Meaning the accelerator was engaged for 23 minutes providing power to the system? I agree, usually a full charge cycle takes much longer and there may be a timer issue with the charger.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

yes, for 23mins the pedal was down.

its strange, i think i'm the only one that has this charger. i can not find anything when i search this site or even google.

even with my old batts that were ran down to low voltage still the charger ran for a hour and a half then batts were fully charged. I don't get it.

will charging that fast damage my new batts?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

If you can, try another charger on your cart and also try your charger on another cart. Also, if you have a 6v or 12v charger charge your batteries individually or in pairs and then check the voltage on each and the pack again after you're done.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
dlh133
Not Yet Wild

Well i drove the cart with the pedal down for 20mins, the cart is superisingly fast its got to be doing 19 to 20mph. At the end of my ride the cart had no more pedal and started smoking under the controller cover, I pulled the cover and the brand new solenoid was so hot I couldn't touch it. And it smells burnt bad. What could make it burn up?

I did put it on charge after this and it charged again for 48mins.

something definitly not right with my set up either the controller is bad, the f/r, solenoid, charger, what else is there. the motor can't be bad and the batts are brand new with a good reading. so what gives?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO