lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 01 EZ GO Electric barely moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road SHO View Post
It wont even move a foot under it's own power. I'll try charging the batteries individually.

Thanks.

Tom
I understand that..... what I wanted to see was the pack voltage drop from no load to attempting to go
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Okay, after getting rid of the surface charge I started with 35.7 volts and it dropped to 29.7 to 30.0 while under the load of pressing the gas pedal with the cart on the ground. Is that too much drop?

I put a 6 volt car charger on the battery with the lowest reading (6.0 volts) and will see if that helps any.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom
Off Road SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road SHO View Post
Okay, after getting rid of the surface charge I started with 35.7 volts and it dropped to 29.7 to 30.0 while under the load of pressing the gas pedal with the cart on the ground. Is that too much drop?

I put a 6 volt car charger on the battery with the lowest reading (6.0 volts) and will see if that helps any.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom
Starting at ~35% state of charge and dropping to below 10% (aka dead) when trying to go. I believe you've identified an issue.

Scotty, where's ur chart????? Am I close?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Found it! One bad battery. Without load it was 6.24 like the rest. As soon as I loaded it by trying to drive it, it dropped to 4 volts. Replaced it today and now she runs like before. You guys nailed it. Just because batteries show good voltage doesn't mean they are good. Thanks guys.

Tom
Old 05-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Keep an eye on this pack as the rest of them are not overly active (S/G readings) ..... Time to start saving up for new batteries..... glad to hear you got it running
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #16
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Yes, we plan on it. It was a shock to see how much battery prices have gone up in 3 years. ScottyB, do you think the SG on the other batteries might have been caused by the one defective battery? Maybe it was sucking up all the charge?

Tom
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those S/G numbers indicate the level of activity in each cell. I don't think that would be effected by what another battery was doing in the pack. It has everything to do with the condition of the lead plates and the amount of electrolyte in the cell ..... As batteries age these S/G #s will drop. See the chart below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

P.S.
I'm surprised to see how much battery prices have gone up in the last 5 months
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
sti_lin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Tom- did you individually load test each battery by putting it on jack stands and pressing gas? If not how so? My batteries go through their charge rather quickly and I want to try and do this myself to see if I have a bad battery too. Also to get pack voltage I have been putting my meter on the charger prongs is this the standard place to get this measure?
sti_lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

With the wheels on the ground and a volt meter across the last two battery cables, I first measured it with the gas pedal off for the no-load test and got 37 to 39 volts. Leaving the volt meter attached I switched on the key and depressed the go pedal (load test) It dropped to 27-30 volts.

Then when I found the battery with the low SG, I did the same test with just that battery on the volt meter. Got 6.2 no-load and 4 when under load. Replaced that battery and all is fine for now. I am starting to shop around for less expensive batteries though, just in case any other begin to crap out.

Tom
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO